WW My impression.

MINK

Reaction score
I broke the rod so no wg. Wired shut with about 100 pounds of resistance.
If it weren't for the smoke id be happy, i wanted to lose the surge and have. The smoke is just embarrassing.

Ther is no way it is really smoking that bad without a boost leak.

02BigD

Reaction score
Ther is no way it is really smoking that bad without a boost leak.

Or...

CCV is not venting properly? Thinking that especially because it's greyish.

Just another thought (no idea how relevant as I haven't taken apart turbos)...maybe messed up the seal on the shaft of the turbo?

Last edited:

Marty

Reaction score
WW = no HP difference over the stock wheel. Did a back to back dyno comparison years back.

Just less surge. Not an end-all but for 75-100 bucks well worth it. If you're planning to put 400+ and wait forever on an ATS housing then you might as well go another route. IE: turbo.

PS... 3 hours is a little long LOL

TARM

Reaction score
Marty,

I am not doubting the real world effects you report but the wheel is smaller correct? So do you think its just so close it does not make much of a diff.

What about your boost numbers and egts? Did they change much?

Marty

Reaction score
Boost was 1 psi different, egts the same. The op has another issue. I put a ww in all the stock turboed 7.3 that I regularly drive or own. Anything more and you're wasting money. Technically a van turbo with a ported housing would be best.... But youre talking price of turbo, downpipe adapter, compressor housing, etc.... I have put a few van turbos on super duties and that with a ww works great with up to 200cc hybrids. Of course you are out of air but its not a bad setup.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
I have gauges, boost is lower along with egt.
I'll get a vid when I can. It starts black and leans out to dark gray.
Maybe its time for a pump. I'm driving it to ts so you can give me a diagnosis there Marty :)

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Joe...

This always kills me when people do this...

The truck was running great... You messed with the turbo, and now it's not running great...

So it's the tunes, or the fuel pump? I'm only saying it like this because I know you can take it... But come on man...

:doh:

Go pull the turbo and fix it right... It MIGHT take an hour. Much less if you soak it with some good penetrating oil and let it cool down before starting...

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Why pull the turbo?
It'll take me about 20 minutes to switch back to the sd wheel to see if acts the same as it did.
The only thing wrong right now is the wg linkage busted. I hope to fix that then see how it acts.
Btw I meant hpop not fp.

On edit; I still have the same manifold leak I had b4 the swap. Never occurred to me that since it was the "control" that might contribute to the prob. It had to much air slipping b4 with the large surface wheel. Now that it has less wheel to move air, could it be less bp on the turbine thus requiring the full exh to spin it. My boost did drop a bit?

Last edited:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
No. Pull the turbo, replace the broken wastegate parts, and make sure the wastegate actuator isn't pushing the wastegate open until around at least 10 psi.

Pull the turbo because that's the RIGHT way to do it... And it's easier.

Jason

Reaction score
I could hit 32psi with leaking uppipes.

Id do like jap said, pull the turbo, fix wastegate actuator properly, put it all back together and see if that fixes the problem. If not, i gaurantee you its not the wheel causing your issue. Yes it moves less air, but not a noticable difference where itll be a smokey pig like yoyre saying it is. Seeing as how its all computer controlled, woudnt the wastegate opening up prematturely, have the fuel delivery cut back?? May not make any sense but its all i could think of with lower boost numbers AND lower egt's..

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^^^ what i was getting at. If im way out of line, dont flame me, i honestly dont read a lot of technical threads as it makes my head hurt.

No. That was good. I remember thinking MAP sensor the other day, but I couldn't remember if I had said it or not.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
joe, when you did the leak test did you spray soapy water all over the compressor housing and just for chits and giggles all the boots and spyder connections?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Fix the exh leak and found my intake air sensor had been knocked lose and was hanging down by the axle. Runs very good, high pitch whistle and lots more boost. Hits 30psi now. Throttle response is instant now and is on boost right now. No lag! B4 it smoked I think because I was pushing the injectors without boost. Smoke has turned much lighter and only haze at wot.

My impressing of the WW mod is good.

Last edited:

dietoremain

Reaction score
Fix the exh leak and found my intake air sensor had been knocked lose and was hanging down by the axle. Runs very good, high pitch whistle and lots more boost. Hits 30psi now. Throttle response is instant now and is on boost right now. No lag! B4 it smoked I think because I was pushing the injectors without boost. Smoke has turned much lighter and only haze at wot.

My impressing of the WW mod is good.

:morons:

Latest posts

Members online