xrf tie rods anyone using them?

freddie

Reaction score
I ended up making a pair of washers set up to hold a piece of an Energy Suspension poly bushing between the tie rod and knuckle. No tie rod roll for several years now. Have some photos somewhere.....
PLEASE post some pics of this!!

Well, cash is tight. Not enough dough for that Carrick setup. I was able to replace with Moog part #'s DS1071 and ES3009R. Much better, but still will need to address the drag link as soon as I can save up.

The right outer TRE (Moog DS1071) came with dust boot/bushing to address the roll. So far so good, it's much better. Here's a pic.

Rusty

What Moog part # did that bushing come with? I just put all new Moog parts on. I don't remember that bushing though.

freddie

Reaction score
I think I know why I'm confused. Lol.

My DS1071 came with both a boot and a bushing, so I assumed the bushing went between the DS1068 drag link and DS1071 Tie Rod. See my attachment for the way I have it installed. :doh:

Attachments

• 20160609_165214.jpg
    20160609_165214.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80

freddie

Reaction score
Thanks Rusty! While doing my Dana 60 swap and RSK, I really considered a steering conversion to ditch the factory F350 steering, but a few buddies talked me out of spending the money (that is the ONLY upgrade that they talked me out of.. haha!)

rusty1161

Reaction score
Thanks Rusty! While doing my Dana 60 swap and RSK, I really considered a steering conversion to ditch the factory F350 steering, but a few buddies talked me out of spending the money (that is the ONLY upgrade that they talked me out of.. haha!)

I do have a drop pitman arm and track bar bracket sitting and waiting to be installed. Some others have said that the drop pitman arm reduces the tendency for the tie rod roll due to better angles. Those parts are going in as soon as I can find the time.

Rusty

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a drop pitman arm and all it did was make the upper drag link joint last longer. Prior to the drop pitman arm, the drag link was at a severe angle compared to the trac bar. The trac bar had a drop bracket. The drag link still rotates.

You want the drag link and Trac bar at the same angle angle otherwise you would be bump steer.

P5230117.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought these http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/PLYBSH.html and have one in the same place, where the drag link attaches to the DS1071 tie rod. This combo seems to be pretty effective so far, I hope it is durable and lasts, too. I still want to replace the drag link once I save up the cash.

Rusty

That is exactly what I was talking about in my post. I made a bushing like that by cutting down a random Energy suspension bushing but went one step further and went to the lathe and made 2 cup washers that encased it in steel except a small gap between the cups. Works great for many miles.

Reaction score
I think I know why I'm confused. Lol.

My DS1071 came with both a boot and a bushing, so I assumed the bushing went between the DS1068 drag link and DS1071 Tie Rod. See my attachment for the way I have it installed. :doh:

You have it on wrong. The bushing goes on the Right outer tie rod end between it and the knuckle. It keeps the tie rod from rolling.

Latest posts

Members online