YET ANOTHER 99 RCSB F250 BUILD

DEECEE

Reaction score
Yes it is. :) the top side and bottom form a z. I didn't do the step cut that others have done, which is what seems to be widely accepted, but I disagree with the integrity of the step cut.

DEECEE

Reaction score
With this method there is more metal to form the weld, I have over 11 inches on the face and 7 on the top and bottom. Twice the amount that the step cut has.

DEECEE

Reaction score
That's cool the more weld the better! The step cut your referring to is was the fabrication world calls a Z cut. Good luck
Some do call it that, there's about 10 names for every method and technique out there. I have been researching this for the past 5 months, I've read hours upon hours of articles forums and engineers documents from half a dozen experts, this isn't just something I decided to do on a whim. I'm thankful that so many on here have offered their opinions and provided helpful information, thank you psa.

RBernardi

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be a buzz kill man, but if you did so much research you would have known moving the leaf hangers and chopping the back of the frame would not have been the proper way to shorten your truck like you wanted to do half way through the build. Plus you having a 4x4 would eliminate some supension travel by removing the arch over the axle. School me on this technique.

Last edited:

DEECEE

Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be a buzz kill man, but if you did so much research you would have known moving the leaf hangers and chopping the back of the frame would not have been the proper way to shorten your truck like you wanted to do half way through the build. Plus you having a 4x4 would eliminate some supension travel by removing the arch over the axle. School me on this technique.
It was just an idea I had, it is possible to do it, and if there was an issue with the arch and suspension travel you could notch the frame out and box it in for reinforcement. Almost anything is possible with enough patience and money. There is no "right way" there's nothing right about cutting a perfectly good truck frame.

RBernardi

Reaction score
It was just an idea I had, it is possible to do it, and if there was an issue with the arch and suspension travel you could notch the frame out and box it in for reinforcement. Almost anything is possible with enough patience and money. There is no "right way" there's nothing right about cutting a perfectly good truck frame.
SSPX0058.jpg
400B357E-B716-4EB0-8CA6-4752B2DEAAD3-1548-000002DA8E3E0CB7_zpsd5f8feba.jpg

8A3AA953-876E-4EEA-A982-7A58B9BBE1CE-1548-000002DA2E3694B6_zpsbbc9d66e.jpg

BDF-0E362F3FB053-1548-000002D9543E7751_zps1404a954.jpg

I know about notched frames.....with a 4x4? Any other techniques?

DEECEE

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your angle is.. are you trying to be a dick or something? I'm just documenting my progress so that someone else may avoid issues I encountered or may otherwise find it useful. I respect that you're some kind of self proclaimed expert, but perhaps you would rather start your own thread to show off your marvelous creations, rather than harassing me?

DEECEE

Reaction score
IMAG1026.jpg

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1040.jpg

Got the frame welded back together. I cut 11" out of the piece I removed cut the top off 1/2" and bolted it into the splice area with grade 8 bolts. I think the diagonal cuts make the frame stronger, but they were very difficult to get lined up even with the trouble I went through to insure the marks were perfect. It also made welding it back together a little harder, I was having issues with undercut on the vertical diagonal angle on the sides, especially the inside, it was really hard to weld the inside back together. It came out great I think, couldn't really even tell it was ever cut.

DEECEE

Reaction score
looks really good

Thanks man, it's a lot of work, but you of all people know that already. Did you just bend your fuel lines back towards the tank or did you cut them? I had to replace the brake line, it was rusted up pretty bad around the fuel tank area, evidently that's a widespread ford problem. Learning double flares was frustrating but I left myself plenty of slack for the learning curve. The f150 tank fits perfectly, thank god, but the lines don't reach back properly.

DEECEE

Reaction score
Put a big fuel cell in where the spare tire goes

The f150 tank fits perfectly so I'm using it after I get everything adapted. A buddy of mine gave me a stainless steel transfer tank that will fit on the passenger side under the bed or in the bed, but with the smaller short bed I'd rather keep as much space as I can.

JMart

Reaction score
I cut my fuel lines and ran rubber lines with a kit from DI to modify the pick up tube.

DEECEE

Reaction score
I cut my fuel lines and ran rubber lines with a kit from DI to modify the pick up tube.

Yeah, I didn't think about that possibility, on the vacuum side of the pump it wouldn't matter if you had rubber and clamps I guess, it would probably be better than the fittings ford used. I still have about 150 dollars worth of jic fittings and adaptors I haven't used.

JMart

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think about that possibility, on the vacuum side of the pump it wouldn't matter if you had rubber and clamps I guess, it would probably be better than the fittings ford used. I still have about 150 dollars worth of jic fittings and adaptors I haven't used.

Yeah I cut off the quick connects, and I never had any fuel leaks.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.