zf5 to 4r100

co04cobra

Reaction score
It just snaps into the bottom of the cluster. There is a blank plate there now. The columns are different either. You can add the auto shifter to the top of the existing column and use the auto trim pieces.

I have pretty well everything you need in a 97 parts truck.

But I still say DONT DO IT!! Pm me if you need the parts. I can ship a code straight to BTS for you too.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
OD ratio on an auto with 4.10 is close to a zf5 with 3.55 IIRC
Wrong. The overdrive ratio in the ZF is 0.72:1. The overdrive ratio in the E4OD and 4R100 is 0.71:1.

So where you're now running 2000 RPM you will run 1972 RPM.

So do you plan to swap an e40d, or 4r100? If you want the 4r100, you have ALOT of work ahead of you.
No, not really. An E4OD harness and PCM will control a 4R100. The 4R100 has more sensors, but the E4OD PCM doesn't know that, so you can just leave them unplugged.

Yea. And the e40d harness doesn't have those clips that the 4r harness does. So swapping a trans into an obs manual requires 4r harness, pcs or compatible 4r computer, driveshaft, and tcase I think
None of that is right.

pullandpray

Reaction score
My pcs I bought is for a 4r100 so more than likely I will run that so I don't have to buy another harness I also read with a stand alone you have a little better tuning with a 4r100 vs e4od. Not sure if that's true or not

ghohouston

Reaction score
Wrong. The overdrive ratio in the ZF is 0.72:1. The overdrive ratio in the E4OD and 4R100 is 0.71:1.

So where you're now running 2000 RPM you will run 1972 RPM.

No, not really. An E4OD harness and PCM will control a 4R100. The 4R100 has more sensors, but the E4OD PCM doesn't know that, so you can just leave them unplugged.

None of that is right.

So mark, you're telling me when I decide to swap an auto in my truck, I can in fact bolt a 4r100 onto the back of my motor, use the factory e40d harness, and everything else from a factory auto 97 truck, and it will work right? I could have sworn I was told you either had to run a pcs, or go to a super duty pcm.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You might need to swap the solenoid body. I don't remember what year the diodes were moved from the PCM to the solenoids. You can't run no diodes or two diodes.

But otherwise, yes, that's true. You can bolt up a 4R100 and the E4OD PCM will control it just fine.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
You might need to swap the solenoid body. I don't remember what year the diodes were moved from the PCM to the solenoids. You can't run no diodes or two diodes.

But otherwise, yes, that's true. You can bolt up a 4R100 and the E4OD PCM will control it just fine.

pullandpray

Reaction score
Mark if you had to choose one or the other is there any advantages? Just curious. is the thing I heard about tuning a 4r100 easier than an e4od true?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The 4R100 would be easier to tune in the Ford 4R100 PCM because there is more information available. It has two speed sensors that the E4OD does not. I have no idea if one is easier than the other in a PCS system.

The 4R100 in stock form is stronger than a stock E4OD.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The 4R100 would be easier to tune in the Ford 4R100 PCM because there is more information available. It has two speed sensors that the E4OD does not. I have no idea if one is easier than the other in a PCS system.

The 4R100 in stock form is stronger than a stock E4OD.

ghohouston

Reaction score

How involved is that? And would I have to swap the front pump as pullandpray stated?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
How involved is that? And would I have to swap the front pump as pullandpray stated?
There is an orifice that is different. You could reduce it from 0.250" to 0.030", or replace the front pump. The alternative is that every lockup will SLAM on.

Replacing the solenoid body is not hard. It's inside the pan.

zf od is .76
That does change the RPM I quoted. When replacing the ZF with an E4OD/4R100 at a speed where you are at 2000 RPM your RPM after the swap will be 1868.

ghohouston

Reaction score
There is an orifice that is different. You could reduce it from 0.250" to 0.030", or replace the front pump. The alternative is that every lockup will SLAM on.

Replacing the solenoid body is not hard. It's inside the pan.

That does change the RPM I quoted. When replacing the ZF with an E4OD/4R100 at a speed where you are at 2000 RPM your RPM after the swap will be 1868.

So I'd have to replace the 4r100 pump with an e40d pump?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Harsh lockup ftw!! Slam and jam!! Wot..

Lmao, it doesn't bother me a bit. Ever rode in a 700 plus 7.3 with a bts? The ***ker chirped the tires under 25 percent throttle when it would shift. I just don't wanna be breaking internals of the trans. Anywho, pretty sure I'm about to buy a bts e40d.

Latest posts

Members online