zf6 noise?

old96stroker

Reaction score
i recently bought a 2006 f250 eclb 2wd with the 5.4 and a 6 speed in it. the truck currently has 140000 miles on it, i bought it with 130000 on it. i am quite pleased with the truck and the way i have it set up, work truck with contractor shell but the transmission makes a lot of chatter at low rpm in low threw third gears, low-1st-2nd. my question is is there any kind of oil that will help with the noise i am hearing, i am told it is all normal and it shifts and operates fine so no problems there and the fluid level and oil condition looks fine, any recomendations on synthetics or anything to quiet it down? thank you.

old96stroker

Reaction score
That is what I figured smokedout, but there are so many guys that know a lot of good intel on here I just didn't know if there was a additive or synthetic that would help. I talked to local dealership and their technician said something to the tune of "its because these zf6's have aluminum casings?" Is that on par? Thank you for the reply though.

tensixniner

Reaction score
Gear rollover noise is normal. It's from the play between gears.
You'll get use to it.

How often are you using the low gear?

old96stroker

Reaction score
Hardly ever, towed my tractor a while back and needed it a few times, also handy in parking lot traffic, just stick it in low and let it crawl! Sometimes when taking off from a stop on a STEEP hill I will use it also, why do you ask tensixniner?

03lariat7.3

Reaction score
I have the same ZF-6, mine does the same thing and I have run synthetic ATF in it is whole life. I may be wrong, but I think most of the gears are a straight cut gear which are a lot noiser than a bevel cut gear. It would make sense because straight cut gears would be stronger for the low end torque on start up, especially with a load. Im not 100% positive that that is correct but its an idea. I do know in most semi transmissions, all the gears are straight.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.