Zf6 Time For New Clutch Have A Few Questions

GDSchafer

Reaction score
I just purchased this truck back in March and have only put on 2K miles or so but the the clutch is slipping pretty badly and its time for a replacement. Right now the truck is stock besides an intake. In the future (could be a couple months, could be a year) I plan on adding an exhaust, hydra chip, and 160/30 injectors, I plan on keeping the stock turbo and HPOP unless they cannot handle the extra load. I have pretty much decided on a clutch kit from Southbend given the numerous favorable reviews I have read for this application. Right now I have am having trouble deciding between the 1944-6OKHD which is rated for 425hp/800tq and the 1944-6OFEK which is rated for 475hp/900tq. I know with the mods I listed above I will probably struggle to even break 400hp. So thats where my question comes in, will the truck be comfortably driveable if I install one of the above performance clutch's on basically a stock truck? I do a bit of towing (average 7K-10K lbs) and I dont want to render the truck useless by putting to much of a clutch on it. But I also don't want to have to buy another clutch in a year or two by putting a lower hp one on and having it wear out prematurely after the truck has a few upgrades. Any input is greatly appreciated, would love to hear from someone who has firsthand experience with one of the above kits or if anyone has a suggestion on another brand I would love to hear it.

psduser1

Reaction score
Buy more clutch than you think you need, if you're going to work the truck. Maybe even a dualdisk.

GDSchafer

Reaction score
So I shouldn't be worried about "over clutching" it? This is my first vehicle with a standard trans so I am learning as I go.

psduser1

Reaction score
Your leg will get used to it, lol.
That is why I mentioned a dualdisk, actually. Lighter pedal feel, with, generally, better clamping force. It won't be "fast" shifting, but you shouldn't have any trouble towing with 32-3400# plates. Not at 160/30% injector power levels.
Options are
Stock
Valair
Kentucky clutch
South Bend
Aem
To name a few.
For a dd, I'd recommend organic pads, although some guys seem happy with the ceramics.

ju015dd

Reaction score
I went with a southbend dual disc and love it. Was a bit spendy but I know it will last a while. Comes with a very nice pilot bearing compared to the stock ****e. It did take some getting used to for me but with a really nice and easy clutch pedal it makes it worth the longer **** time.

masterglaizer

Reaction score
Stick with the organic clutch. I got a ceramic clutch a few years ago and aside from the chatter the disk only lasted a year and cost 700.00 from a local parts house. The organic clutch that is in it now is 3 yes old and still pulling good. No major mods on this truck. Gutted exaust and edge tuner is it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online