oil pickup tube clearance

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
Was about to put my oil pan on when I noticed how close the pick up tube is to the bottom of the pan. You can see it through the oil drain hole. The tube is bolted in place and there is no adjustment .

oilpanhole.jpg

oilpickuptube.jpg

oilpickuptube1.jpg

TARM

Reaction score
Back when I did gasser builds 3/8" was the average I shot for. A little more or less was ok which allowed if the screen flared out int he middle a bit. A min of 1/4 a the closest point was what I recall being told or possibly had read. Now this at least 20 years ago when I was doing this. IIRC some mopars had clearnace built into the pickup end and the rim of it actually set flush on the pan bottom. But that is not what you are dealing with here.

Basically 1/4"-1/2" is a safe range with 3/8 being just about perfect. Now I am not sure if there is a specific difference in the 7.3 for a different clearance but I can not see why their would be.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
there is about 1/2 inch clearance from the pick up to the bottom of the pan. BUT, there is only 1/8 of an inch between the oil pan drain bolt and the pick up tube. Man thats close.

TARM

Reaction score
Sorry do not know what to tell ya on how it should be with it. That sure does seem close though I agree. But the `1/2" sounds correct. I am sure a number of guys that have done their own build can tell ya. Likely tomorrow.

TARM

Reaction score
I got tell you your avatar of that um cough cough sheila is killing me. Hard to type when you are gagging. LOL

V-Ref

Reaction score
Clear is clear is clear. But I hear you... that does sound close. Is it .125 worth of clearance with a gasket squished in there between the oil pan and rails? I might be wrong for doing so....but I run a 1 lb magnet stuck to the oil pan, and a Fumoto valve. Not sure if a Fumoto valve will give you more clearance. Interested in what you come up with on this.

ChunderDownUnder

Reaction score
.120 was with the pan sitting on the block. Not bolted down. Im at a loss as to where Im going to get any adjustment on the tube. Its bolted both ends.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Beat aka "clearance" the bottom of the pan is my first instinct :hammer:

Maybe some long distance on the phone Monday is in order....or somebody that has a builder motor with the crank/pickup on that can flip it over on thier stand, slap a pan on and take a measurement for you.

907DAVE

Reaction score
I had to do a bit of massaging to my oil pan to gain clearance, but since I used a girdle it dropped the tube a good .250 down into the pan.

TARM

Reaction score
You should take some measurments of the pan and pickup and compare to others and see what is out of spec. But if you can weld there is a simple fix if need be.:D

TARM

Reaction score
PM HRT or 907Dave may also be able to tell you along with Machinist possibly.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
I had to do a bit of massaging to my oil pan to gain clearance, but since I used a girdle it dropped the tube a good .250 down into the pan.

Guess with me having the same girdle, I'll have to do the same thing. Where and how much should I do?

Black 02

Reaction score
Sorry for digging this up, but did you ever get a tolerance requirement between the pickup and the pan?

I purchased a new pan from Riffraff and I'm using Swamp's girdle. Went to put the pan on today and the thicker part of the pan at the drain plug touches the pickup screen.

Just wondering is this is normal. Especially with a girdle.

Black 02

Reaction score
Thanks Ron.

I just strapped the pan down and put a hydraulic jack and pushed the plug down a touch. My pan was slightly concave up. Now it's concave down with plenty of room.

:toast: