1997 e4od limp mode problem

snappe20136.7

Reaction score
hey all,
ive got a 97 7.3 4x4 with the e4od. i just had a buddy put a good used trans in a week ago with a new torque converter as well. This is my work/beater truck as well as a "possible future restoration project" so i wasnt gonna spend alot on a new trans. I was driving the other night and it went into limp mode(O/D light flashing) and crazy hard shifts, i thought i was gonna blow a hole through the trans when it shifted it was that hard. Trans fluid was low and took two extra quarts, shifted fine back to my place from my buddies shop afterwards. and while in limp mode i would hit the gas and sometimes it would rev up and not go anywhere like i put it in neutral for extended periods of time before it shifted. it also did that with the old trans too. i had the trans changed due to this same exact thing happening before and it also having 340k on the previous trans. i have an ABS light on the dash which was on when i got the truck, speedo does work and my brake lights and dome work as well. im gonna try to get it to either ford or a good trans shop that can put a scanner on it and see if it has codes stored still. Is there anything i can check while its at home still? Places wiring can cut or corrode and loose connections? Im thinking it has to be something electrical because this same thing happened on the old trans, would come and go between driving and letting it cool down. the new trans in it now shifts very smooth when its not in limp mode. I drove the truck around town and did a couple rides on a local main road at 60mph 2 days in a row and the same day the limp mode occured....again. While it was in for the trans i had a new engine oil pan installed along with new trans lines and a trans range/neutral safety switch put on as well. i know its a shot in the dark without working with a code(s) but if theres some basic things to check that could save me from dumping money in it i dont want to spend then ill check them out. Thank you for your help!

Arisley

Reaction score
There is no "limp mode" on a '97. That flashing OD light is telling you there is trans codes.

I am moving this to the OBS section.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.