2600 miles in 45 hours

TrickTruck

Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago I found out that Harley had discontinued the bike I was saving to buy - the Road Glide Custom. So I scoured the country and found 1 left...in Liberal Kansas. I'm in South Carolina. Quite a haul, but I struck a deal and decided to go.

Put some hooks in the garage ceiling and removed the cap, got some fresh straps and loaded up Friday Feb 28th at noon with a buddy (to share driving) for the trip.

We hit Liberal about 8:15 the next morning, with a sheet of ice across the front of the truck.

Knowing worse weather was coming I cut my drooling time to a minimum, loaded up, finished the paperwork in 2.5hrs and headed south to avoid the weather. While this added about 50-100 miles to our trip we felt it was worth it to avoid the ice.

When we first took off from the dealer with the 800lb bike in the back the truck felt very mushy and kind of unstable. We pulled over and I cranked up the King shock's damping setting and this totally fixed it. From there on we didn't even notice the bike in the back.

Got back Sunday morning and even including stops for gas, food and load time we did the trip in 45 hours.

The Ford ran perfectly the whole way. 100mph passes were only a few seconds from 70. Ding dongs in hotrods got surprised when they wanted to play.

All in all it was an exhausting trip that took two days to recover from, but the truck ran great. Here's a few pics of the results.

Attachments

• IMAG0114.jpg
    IMAG0114.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • IMAG0116.jpg
    IMAG0116.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 195
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 173

Motostroker

Reaction score
I just got back from California pulling this. I'm in Clemson. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394497321.168042.jpg

2450 miles there, 2600 back(we diced to try a different route) got roughly 10mpg the whole time. We maintained 65-70 the whole way. I need to install my bags!

TrickTruck

Reaction score
sweet rides moto, you into KOH too?

We were just in Clemson on the bikes this weekend, lots of young girls there :D purdy

Yea, the new Road Glide is sick. On a negative note, brand new bike and the stereo dies. HD insists they can replace it with a used stereo. Needless to say I'm not real happy with their solution.

Motostroker

Reaction score
sweet rides moto, you into KOH too?

We were just in Clemson on the bikes this weekend, lots of young girls there :D purdy

Yea, the new Road Glide is sick. On a negative note, brand new bike and the stereo dies. HD insists they can replace it with a used stereo. Needless to say I'm not real happy with their solution.

Yessir! Currently building my rzr1000 to compete. You most likely saw me riding also. I was out on my gsxr cruising around. We are going up 178 tomorrow to cruise the mountains.

I love your bike though. I want a Harley in a bad way

jdc753

Reaction score
wow that bike is B-E-A-Utiful!! Sounds like a fun and worthwhile trip too, shame they are discontinuing that bike.

Latest posts

Members online