5th wheel hitch recommendation

Reaction score
I have a 52ft stacker trailer. I'm constantly about 20k lbs on the trailer axles and the rear axle on my truck usually weighs in at 9k lbs. I know that I have alot of pin weight but literally nothing in the front part of the trailer. I am currently using a Curt Q30 30k hitch. Curt told me that its only good for 7k lbs worth of pin weight. So i need a stronger hitch. now i know everyone will point out that at 9k lbs on my rear axle already, any more weight will over load the drive axle. I'm currently starting to build a new rear clip to stretch the truck with an additional 9k axle, so it will be fine.

I will post that when its done.

psduser1

Reaction score
Not saying your wrong, but 9k on the axle isn't exactly the same as 9k on the pin.
Can you move the ball forward at all? That will help axle gross weight.
What is the trailers gross weight, when towing? Can you shift any weight to behind the trailer axles? Does the 30k number represent what the hitch is rated for, total? If so, the hitch is rated for less than a quarter of the trailer gross weight?

Reaction score
You are right, 9k lbs on the drive axle is the amount of both the pin weight and the natural weight of the truck. If you look at my profile picture tho, you will notice that there is no bed, or anything to speak of behind the cab. So its probably about 6k-7k lbs of pin weight. My hitch is rated for 30,000 Gross trailer weight, and 7,000lbs of pin weight. If you run your truck across a CAT certified scale, you can get a per axle weight. and the front axle in these trucks barely have any room on them to add additional weight to the front axle. The front axle has a GWAR of 6,000lbs. When i went across the scale, it weighed in at 5,200lbs, with trailer. It really just comes down to having to add the extra axle. Whether I utilize them to their full capacities is another thing. But I know that i will need a strong hitch if I continue that direction.

psduser1

Reaction score
You are right, 9k lbs on the drive axle is the amount of both the pin weight and the natural weight of the truck. If you look at my profile picture tho, you will notice that there is no bed, or anything to speak of behind the cab. So its probably about 6k-7k lbs of pin weight. My hitch is rated for 30,000 Gross trailer weight, and 7,000lbs of pin weight. If you run your truck across a CAT certified scale, you can get a per axle weight. and the front axle in these trucks barely have any room on them to add additional weight to the front axle. The front axle has a GWAR of 6,000lbs. When i went across the scale, it weighed in at 5,200lbs, with trailer. It really just comes down to having to add the extra axle. Whether I utilize them to their full capacities is another thing. But I know that i will need a strong hitch if I continue that direction.
Ii didn't look at your pic til you mentioned it. I see where you are at, lol. All bs aside, if you plan to "continue down this road", it might be worth looking at a different truck, time and money wise.
The other option is swapping in a Dana 135 axle, instead of adding an axle. I think that what you were contemplating doing?
As far as the hitch, I'd say your best bet would be a hitch from a med duty truck.

Reaction score
I did play with the idea about the Dana 135 with Air ride. But I'm only gaining about 4,000lbs of capacity. Not to mention, I personally think it would just look cool. Not to mention, i really could use the extra room it would build behind the cab.

Reaction score
No idea what a dot guy would say lol.
Well, they stretch semi trucks all the time without any issues. And DOT officer's main focus is the commercial vehicles and obvious safety issues. I've been stopped before. They check my CDL (because of the weight) and double check that I'm not hauling commercially, then let me go.

PDT1081

Reaction score
My 13 CCSB has 3500lbs on the rear axle. That includes the bed, toolbox with a few tools (figure 200lbs total), and half-ish tank of fuel. Wouldn't surprise me if you're at or over 9k on the pin.

Latest posts

Members online