7.3 hypertech programmer info needed ASAP

20007.3L

Reaction score
7.3 hypertech programmer
What does it do?
How does it benifit my truck, found one for a hell of a deal just want to know exactly what is does!

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
7.3 hypertech programmer
What does it do?
How does it benifit my truck, found one for a hell of a deal just want to know exactly what is does!

I know good deals are hard to pass up. But pass on that. TS 6 position with custom tunes is the ONLY tuning you want to have on a 7.3.

20007.3L

Reaction score
So then whats the difference? It add's HP and FT/lbs of torque. Same as a chip? I am a newb at Diesel mods so bear with me!

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
There is a difference between programmers, and chips. The chips plug into the pcm. Powertrain Control Module. With 6 adjustable custom tunes that are built by the tuner and mapped out specifically for your truck. PCM code, year, trans, mods, ect. Programmers, such as the Hypertech, Edge, Diablosport, or Bully Dog, plug into the OBD port and flash the pcm with ONE tune. There are several problems with this. One is you can only run that one tune. To switch means you would have to go thru the whole tuning process again. Two, is these programmers can 'lock' to the truck and not be able to be returned to stock, and they can also leave a footprint. Three, you have less tuning capabilities thru the OBD then you do plugged straight into the PCM. The custom tuners for the 6 position chips are able to do ALOT more, tuning wise, thru the chips then Edge or Hypertech can do with thier little programmers.

Also, with a chip, you can tune for things like bigger injectors, bigger HPOP's, and other things. Matter of fact, for you to get the most out of bigger injectors and bigger hpops, you HAVE to run chip custom tuning.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Power differences aren't huge, but the powerband from a tuned chip are way better. The biggest difference tune-wise is the transmission shifting will be much better with a "custom" tuned chip.

Also the limited "one tune" flash is a pain to swap out, (can't on the fly, obviously) And if the tuner ever breaks or gets stolen you'll have to pay to have your PCM flashed back to stock.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
So we all vote for chip instead. If yes then im buying m chip this week!

Good deal. You wont be disapointed. You will get a whole lot more out of it then us stock OBS injectored guys. SD injecotors are bigger.

Gearhead, Tyrant, NLTD, Swamps, ect. Pick one.

20007.3L

Reaction score
These are the tunes it has!~
Has 3 diff setting 1st is a 20hp tow tune 2nd is a 60hp Eco tune 3rd is performance at 100hp.

still worth it?

ToMang07

Reaction score
My truck is stock and is staying stock with stock injectors and a WW compressor wheel. She is a work truck thats it! LOL So please explain why this wont work for "ME"! Not a truck pushing 6 million HP?

Next time I'm in Concord I'll have to let you take my truck for a test drive... you'll tell the difference pretty easily, lol

It would work. Just not the best option, as mentioned above. Personally I'd ONLY use one if it was free, even then only temporarily until I got a chip. If nothing else I don't want to blow a tranny with crappy tunes.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
My truck is stock and is staying stock with stock injectors and a WW compressor wheel. She is a work truck thats it! LOL So please explain why this wont work for "ME"! Not a truck pushing 6 million HP?

Having custom tunes doesnt mean your trying to be the fastest truck out there with a million hp. It means your trying to get the most out of your stock truck, while being reliable as possible, while getting the best fuel mileage as possible, while having power on demand at the turn of a knob. Your not going to get any of those things with a canned universal programmer tune.

PSD715

Reaction score
Yeah, if the thing you're going forisn't power so much as reliability, that's only more of a reason to go with custom tunes. You can get something with a 60 tow and 80 economy ot equivelant for ~$250. And I'd be willing to bet most ppls 80 eco puts down more power than hypertechs 100 does

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Oh I garentee it does. Along with a better powerband throughout the rpm range, better throttle response and less smoke.

Arisley

Reaction score
Is the programmer capable of pulling and clearing codes. If so, that would be the only reason to use one. Unless, of course, you already have a code reader.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Is the programmer capable of pulling and clearing codes. If so, that would be the only reason to use one. Unless, of course, you already have a code reader.

exactly what andy said!!!

the rest of the guys are spot on too... DO NOT GET A TUNER...
get a custom tunes 6 position chip... i believe powerstruck is giving out the best deal for a single position all they way up to 6 position chips. but the ones already mentioned are top notch too.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online