'96, Low oil pressure on idle.

TMartin

Reaction score
I hav a '96 7.3 that I jus recently rebuilt. Has approx 400 miles. When the motor is warm the oil pressure drops to 3 psi on idle. I changed the filter base yesterday as one diesel shop suggested it mite be bad. But that didn't help. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMartin

Reaction score
Yes. The only original parts on th motor anymore are the hpop, fuel pump, turbo and exhaust pipes. Is it possible to have the inner part of the lpop installed backwards? It idles fine on idle. And starts nice, most of the time. Once in awhile it'll have a hiccup when starting it.

spongebob915

Reaction score
No biggie.

But it sounds like your having the same issue I did. When cold I had 40+ psi oil pressure and once hot maybe 5psi.

TMartin

Reaction score
When I had the heads at machine shop he did strip everything off. But he put all th parts in a bag n I'm pretty sure I emptied the bags. Where are the rear oil gallery plugs? That's a new one to me...

spongebob915

Reaction score
When I had the heads at machine shop he did strip everything off. But he put all th parts in a bag n I'm pretty sure I emptied the bags. Where are the rear oil gallery plugs? That's a new one to me...

in the block behind rear cover

Attachments

• oil galley plug.jpg
    oil galley plug.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 42

TMartin

Reaction score
Yea I see that. Looks like a large project to undertake...

spongebob915

Reaction score
Yea h you need to pull the transmission and rear cover .

But if the person/shop that built my engine would stand behind his work I would not have to do it myself. Was told the first day I picked up my truck and saw my oil pressure gauge reading zero " DONT WORRY ABOUT THAT GAUGE MY TRUCK DOES THE SAME THING"
They forgot to remove a gauge and hose on the oil filter housing that they must have been using to check the oil pressure and realized something was wrong. But instead of doing the right thing they gave me my truck. I was never convinced that he was correct or telling me the truth . So after some research I found a thread with the same symptoms my truck had. So I haD the trans removed and found the problem.

Last edited:

TMartin

Reaction score
I did most of the work myself. So it's my problem I guess. But I didn't take them out. Prolly my machine shop did. I hav a gauge connected rite at the filter and that's how I keep track. Pullin a trans ain't that hard tho.

TMartin

Reaction score
U almost have to take the pan off too not?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.