Any idea what is going on with my clutch?

clydesdale

Reaction score
The first issue was that the truck would not go into gear. The clutch felt ok, but truck would not go into any gear. This was after it was parked for a bit. I shut it off, pumped the clutch and it then worked fine. I noticed that the reservoir was empty, so I assumed I had a hydraulics issue. The issue came back a couple of times over the next hundred around town miles or so.
I replaced the hydraulics and it did it about 5 miles after the change. The thought was that the hydraulics might have had an air bubble. It then worked fine for a couple of weeks and then it happened again. This time the truck was in gear and I went to start it. It did a very weak lurch forward and then the clutch worked and the truck went into neutral. It has since happened to me again.
This problem is very intermittent. Did I just get a bad part from Ford? There is also some sort of baffle or rubber insert in the reservoir on this one. It was not there on the other hydraulics. What is it for?
The problem seems to only happen on start up. Once I am driving, the clutch has always worked fine. Ideas? Thanks.

clydesdale

Reaction score
Hmmm, I have not. But, the pedal does seem to go smoothly through the full travel. Does that matter?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
How far down do you have to go till you get good resistance on pedal?

79jasper

Reaction score
It may still be smooth, but it can cause enough play to have issues.
Look up under there and push the clutch by hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
Nothing is wet anywhere? I suspect the system is getting (or has ) air in it. On first stroke in the morning its not moving the arm to engage the clutch. After you've pumped it some, it works well enough to engage it. Could be a faulty component or just has air that was trapped and needs to be worked out.

Since bubbles rise, I would crack the tube fitting outside the master cylinder then have a buddy pressurize the slave and see if you get bubbles at the fitting. Tighten the fitting before he releases the rod. This will force air up.

hwrdbd

Reaction score
Even the new pre bled units sometimes need a little air worked out. I installed everything up top then pushed the slave against the floor a few times to get all the air out. This way you're holding it vertical and giving a free path for the air to rise up to the master and work its way out.
In regards to clutch bushing, pull up on the pedal and see if you've got excessive slop

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.