Bump steer issue?

heathn

Reaction score
I have a 2015 F250 4x4 that I have noticed a problem with the steering since day one. I would almost describe it as a bump steer or jerk in the steering wheel when going over bumps in the road. Stock tires and suspension. At 5,000 miles I took it to have a tire rotation and a force balance. It felt better but the pulling of the steering wheel was still there, really noticeable if I remove my hands from the steering wheel. I came from a truck with IFS. Is this the characteristics of the F250? It's driving me crazy that a brand new truck would do this.Any help please.

Layson

Reaction score
Find a patch of road that is nearby to the dealer. Then go take it to the dealer and show them what the truck is doing. Might need an alignment...

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if one or both front shocks are bad, as well as the steering stabilizer.

Mine were with that same amount of miles.

But it does sound like you need an alignment and caster looked at.

Clean-15

Reaction score
Is it a constant pull or does it only happen over bumps. My 15 has slight death wobble over bumps since new too. If it's a constant pull then yeah the dealer needs to get it figured out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heathn

Reaction score
It's not a pull but just a wobble in the steering wheel. Only 7500 miles on the truck. I upgraded steering stabilizer to a bilstein. No difference. Similar to tired when not balanced.

Clean-15

Reaction score
Does it happen cruising or only when you go over bumps?

heathn

Reaction score
It actually will do it on a smooth road also. Like a vibration. It's hard to describe in words

Last edited:

Clean-15

Reaction score
Weird. Doesn't sound like bump steer or death wobble then.

heathn

Reaction score
What can be done for bump steer or death wobble for a stock truck with 7500 miles?

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
My 2015 also has had a slight wobble in the steering wheel since new. I thought I had it fixed with new shocks and Carli steering stabilizer. But it is back. I now have 14500 miles on it. I even traded tires.

14ccd

Reaction score
It is not death wobble but is related to it. It is not enough caster in the front end. All Ford trucks '05 and newer have it or at least have a chance of getting it. Sometimes its worn out parts, track bar, track bar bushings, ball joints, tires, shocks, steering stabilizer, u joints or even bad wheels. My '14 does it as did my '08 and the dealer says everything is in spec. Ford knows about it but doesn't want to do anything about it except replace parts. There are a few solutions, the PMF 3 link set, which is what I plan on doing and I believe there are other companies who make replacement radius arms that are adjustable.

Vengeance

Reaction score
It is not death wobble but is related to it. It is not enough caster in the front end. All Ford trucks '05 and newer have it or at least have a chance of getting it. Sometimes its worn out parts, track bar, track bar bushings, ball joints, tires, shocks, steering stabilizer, u joints or even bad wheels. My '14 does it as did my '08 and the dealer says everything is in spec. Ford knows about it but doesn't want to do anything about it except replace parts. There are a few solutions, the PMF 3 link set, which is what I plan on doing and I believe there are other companies who make replacement radius arms that are adjustable.

Mine has the 3 link on it, with 19k on it, and it has the death wobble bad. Has the Fox stabilizer as well. Mad Matt looked at it and said the track bar bushings are shot....

Layson

Reaction score
These should go on every truck...LOL

IMG_29413729603186_zpszhzh1pny.jpg

443_Product_Cards_Page_13.jpg

443_Product_Cards_Page_01.jpg

heathn

Reaction score
Thanks Layson. That makes a lot of sense with the trackbar.
Glad to see I wasn't crazy.

heathn

Reaction score
Took my truck to the stealer. They found the tires would not force balance correctly so I got 4 brand new michellins. I still don't think it fixed the problem. It is most noticeable on hwy. bumps at 70 mph.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.