CA SMOG Issue

miscott

Reaction score
Live in California and went to have the "SMOG" check done.

Had replaced the fuel filters the day prior and didn't bleed the system correctly, which resulted in the engine dying, then I bled it correctly. No check engine lights or anything and truck runs great.

Smog guy told me they check do a visual check of the emissions system and the computer. Well he plugged his scanner into the OBDII port and it showed a no go for fuel. Told him about the fuel filter issue and he said to drive it for a couple hundred miles. Service guy at local Ford dealership who answered the phone semi confirmed this. Does this information sound correct?

Only mods are a No Limit 4" intake and H&S inter cooler pipe upgrade. Truck is not deleted all the emissions stuff is on it.

Last edited:

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Your case is a little different but my 2015 took 1100 miles after removing a dpf on tune before it set all the readiness and would pass MA emissions which I believe is the same as CA.

miscott

Reaction score
Still no luck passing the smog check. Shows incomplete on fuel system. No check engine lights and the truck runs fine. Have put roughly 400 miles on the truck since the first time I tried to smog it. Any suggestions?

redneck101

Reaction score
Find a different smog guy. Never heard of the likes. Is it a ghost code or what?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

miscott

Reaction score
Out of frustration, I bought a Actron CP9580A OBD II Auto Scanner Plus. There are no codes:wtf:. The fuel system readiness check is incomplete. Everything else is fine. Not sure where to go at this point, except to keep driving it. Been researching if there is someway to force the fuel system check, but no luck. Should have just paid the dealer to do the fuel filter's. Good thing that diesel is cheaper than unleaded. Been to two different smog shops and still the same thing.

Ohh yeah and one more thing. Pep Boys has a 35% off for online purchases. Basically register and enter the promo code and you will save 35%. Pay at the store and pickup the item. Paid 175 out the door for the scanner. Shelf price was 249.99.

Last edited:

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Same as I said in the second post. keep driving and checking readiness codes. Its really all you can do. I had a rejection sticker on a truck that was 3 months old for 1100 miles

Ipkyss

Reaction score
If there was an issue it would show a code. For some reason it just takes forever for them to clear readiness

miscott

Reaction score
So I unplugged the batteries for 30 mins and reset all the monitors. No almost all of them are incomplete.:jawdrop: Guess I will just keep driving it with the scanner plugged in until they are all complete.

ArmyPilot

Reaction score
You have to do a couple "drive cycles" to get all the monitors to read "ready".
Check your owners manual for the specific procedure but it should be similar to this:

Ford: Newer Ford owner’s manuals include a drive cycle, which is as follows:
The OBD-II system is designed to check the emission control system during normal driving. A complete
check may take several days. If the vehicle is not ready for E-Check testing, the following driving cycle
consisting of mixed city and highway driving should be performed:
15 minutes of steady driving on an expressway/highway followed by
20 minutes of stop-and-go driving with at least four 30-second idle periods.
Allow the vehicle to sit for at least eight hours without starting the engine. Then, start the engine and
complete the above driving cycle. The engine must warm up to its normal operating temperature. Once
started, do not turn off the engine until the above driving cycle is complete. If the vehicle is still not
ready for E-Check testing, the above driving cycle will have to be repeated.

You'll have to start over since you unhooked your batteries.
Good luck!!

miscott

Reaction score
UPDATE:
Ford dealer gave me the drive cycles for all the sensors related to the fuel system monitor. Impossible to do without a set of rollers and the FORD VCM IDS system. Drive cycle for the PM Filter monitor requires a forced regen at 65 mph. Finally dropped it off at the dealer, will update on the prognosis when i get it. Ridiculous for a truck with only 32000 miles on it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That is for the gassers. The diesels have to clear all monitors. Used to have a problem with min not clearing the egr monitor due to it being turned off with the sct. Had to return ruck to stock to get it to clear.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I think its only the diesels. All the gassers ive had were either 1 or 2 were able to not clear.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
This is a very interesting topic the other 49 states are unaware of that I know of! I have no opinion or solution other than I wanted to see the outcome on your next smog trip.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I still dont understand why the tuners dont "slam" all the readiness monitors and codes of items removed on diesels or at least learn how to do it. It has been done on gas engines for 20 years.

Latest posts

Members online