Compound/Twin Turbo Setup

lucasm12798

Reaction score
I own a 2001 Ford F-350 with a 7.3 Powerstroke. I recently rebuilt the engine due to a blown piston. This was my first rebuild! :D:D I have upgraded the exhaust to a 4 inch flopro turbo back exhaust. It has a TS six position chip. Everything else is stock. I'm looking to get a CAI soon. Any suggestions?

Now for my question. My truck runs fine now. But it has no low end power. The best idea I have come up with so far to combat this is to add a second smaller turbo in addition the the stock one. I know I would probably need a good wastegate on the small one so that it doesn't overspool or screw up my air/fuel ratio on the top end. I was looking at a HX35 or 40.

Would this solve this problem? Or could something less expensive like an aftermarket compressor wheel do the trick? Thanks!

V-Ref

Reaction score
I'd recommend you contact one the vendors on this website that writes tunes for the 7.3, and ask them for recommendations for your goals. FWIW-I've had the most professional experience with Gearhead tuning, in terms of truck performance, customer service, and post purchase support.

That said...my personal recommendation would be to ensure you have a good healthy hpop, and look hard at a Garrett 38R ball bearing drop in turbo. It's responsiveness with any size injector is well known, and will drop right in to your truck. Performance Truck Products (a vendor on here) had one of the best prices I knew of last I researched pricing.

You'll also likely get other recommendations for a modified version of the factory turbo.

Lack of low end power...if this is a new issue since the rebuild.....I'd ask ifhave you checked your turbocharger induction/drive systems for boost leaks?

lucasm12798

Reaction score
Okay, thank you. And I did just find that one of the silicone hoses had a slight tear. I put a different on on there and it cleaned it up a lot! It still seems that it is lacking some low end power.. It may just the the 7.3 in general. Would a boost fooler help with this some? And who makes the best cold air intake?

mustube

Reaction score
A boost fooler depends on your tuner, some need them some don't. Talk with whoever wrote your tunes and see if you should have one. Look for more leaks. Check all the boots, and see if any of the up pipe joints have any soot at all around them. Have you done any other diagnostics? It seems like you've jumped from lacking performance to needing a compound setup.

lucasm12798

Reaction score
Everything on the truck now is stock. I have absolutely no custom tunes. Only the TS chip, which probably does more harm than good. I'm very much a kid at heart, I get way ahead of myself sometimes. Looks like that is what has happened here. Is custom tuning something that involves ordering an Edge programmer? Or something permanent done using computers?

V-Ref

Reaction score
Everything on the truck now is stock. I have absolutely no custom tunes. Only the TS chip, which probably does more harm than good. I'm very much a kid at heart, I get way ahead of myself sometimes. Looks like that is what has happened here. Is custom tuning something that involves ordering an Edge programmer? Or something permanent done using computers?

Please call Gearhead tomorrow morning and Larz/Matt will get you set straight.

http://www.gearheadautomotiveperformance.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can have custom tunes burnt to your TS Chip or they'll just send another one to you. Without more fuel, more turbo won't help much. A set of 160/80 injectors will really help power all the way through, even on a stock turbo. Should get you to around 400hp.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
You already have a TS 6 pos chip. All you have to do is pull the chip and send it to which ever tuner you want and and they can put their tunes on it. It's not very expensive for a reburn with custom tunes. Like V-Ref said Gearhead is one of the best and there are a lot more that sponsor this site that are great.

sent from my little slice of heaven (the bathroom)

Latest posts

Members online