cranks but wont start

Bigsexy

Reaction score
The other night I decided to replace the bolts on the batteries and clean the posts up some. After replacing them I went to start the truck and she idiled really rough. So I shut her off to see if there was maybe something disconnected. I couldnt find anything so I tried to start it again. Now all she does is crank with white smoke coming out my stack. I replaced the batteries because they were getting weak amd nothings changed. Any advice?

ajfetterman

Reaction score
Did it start ok before the battery repair?

Try plugging it in for an hour or so, maybe a glow plug issue.

Also could be CPS.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I thought it was the cps as while so I put a new international one in. I also installed the batteries and checked voltage on the relay and everything looked good. Im beginning to think it might be idm related as it appears im not getting any power to my uvc harness

JLDickmon

Reaction score
I doubt it's the IDM.. if it had issues, chances are it wouldn't be running the injectors at all, and ergo, no white smoke.

My bet would be GPR or something else in the circuit.. UVCH's maybe.. would also account for the rough run..

bluedge8

Reaction score
agreed on the smoke=fuel=idm working, unless It smoked a little then quit. I did have an IDM quit similar to that.

Cr500

Reaction score
Power to injectors comes from idm.
If you have smoke, then you should also hear the Solinoids clicking, right? That would mean you have hydraulic pressure. I'd assume its cold where you are, and higher than sea level? At sea level a good running 7.3 can start ok down to about 50-55 degrees on average. Check the switched hot side of glowing relay. You should also hear it click when key is turned on. Might rule out some things.
If you have the stock filter housing the junk fuel heater could have shorted and blown PCM fuse, but then you'd have no smoke at all.

average

Reaction score
I had the same issue after replacing my glowplugs and relay... crank crank crank, no start and some smoke. Checked the relay and one of the posts cracked clean off. Not sure it was my overtightening or because it was a Chinese pos but a new relay solved the problem. I'm thinking glow plug or relay issue.

Bigsexy

Reaction score
I have power on top of the rear reply im just not sure what its suppose to look like across the posts. As far as I know its working

Cr500

Reaction score
The glow plug relay is a standard deal. You have 2 large posts and 2 small. 1 large is constant hot, other large is hot when relay is on. That is power out to glow plugs. One small terminal is always hot with key on. Other side is ground, which is connected to PCM. It turns it on/ off by the ground side of coil. So, if you check with key off, the large terminal with one 6-8 gauge wire is hot. It will/ should have a rubber cap protecting terminal. When key is turned on if everything is doing well you will hear it click, then the oth large terminal will be hot. At the same time one of the small terminals will be hot, other grounded.
If you see the large terminals look like you got them hot with fire, good indication it is shorted.
But regardless you can easily hear it click.
If you have an amp meter you could attach to hot lead in and see what kind of amp draw it is consuming.
Do you here injector Solinoids clicking when you crank?

Arisley

Reaction score
Anyone kmow where I can find a diagram of the harness on the motor. So I can see whats getting power?

I think I have one at the house. If so I will PM it to you.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

ColtonP

Reaction score
e2ejadug.jpg

SBMCCUNE

Reaction score
I have a no start every winter! Its always the GPR. Anyone guess as to why these things dont last? Or as Average said Chinese POS. Maybe I need to Invest in NAPA.HAHA

Latest posts

Members online