custom fuel system questions

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
I know it's been beat to death but I've got a few questions about an aftermarket custom fuel set up.

My goal is to delete the hfcm and fuel bowl, add a r.r. system, make it look Purdy and most importantly it CANNOT have filters that drop lower than the frame unless it can be very safely guarded. I do not want to lose any clearance underneath and don't even want the risk of breaking a filter if I go off-roading.

From my research so far a sump pick up is required then a low pressure feed pump to feed a higher pressure main pump. From there to the heads set up with a properly regulated fuel return system at the back of the heads.

I've read a lot about people going through motors on high pressure pumps without using a feed pump. Assuming this is the main cause are most of these pumps reliable in a set up like this? What's the pros and cons of the different brands. Is filtration relatively equal between brands?

kornfanjoe

Reaction score
Ok well I've been doing a bunch of research before asking, and the consensus I frequently get is that the pumps burn out frequently if used as a standalone unit, where as using a low pressure to feed the normal pressure pump helps.
It does also seem to be predominant to airdog and Fass
With my goal of deleting the stock system I want something reliable as I frequently go on 1200km trips back home.
How is the fuelab for clearance and filtration?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Ok well I've been doing a bunch of research before asking, and the consensus I frequently get is that the pumps burn out frequently if used as a standalone unit, where as using a low pressure to feed the normal pressure pump helps.
It does also seem to be predominant to airdog and Fass
With my goal of deleting the stock system I want something reliable as I frequently go on 1200km trips back home.
How is the fuelab for clearance and filtration?

It seems to me you really haven't done enough research on this subject if those are your findings.

Purdue_stroker

Reaction score
Sump (if your doing serious off roading I'd think you have a skid plate and mine protects mine really well, I was worried about corn stalks), aeromotive or fuel lab pump, pre and post pump filters, regulated return with the bowl delete... Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adamv7010

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Sump (if your doing serious off roading I'd think you have a skid plate and mine protects mine really well, I was worried about corn stalks), aeromotive or fuel lab pump, pre and post pump filters, regulated return with the bowl delete... Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piecing a system together like this, do you reuse some factory lines? Or replace all with larger?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Considering the recommendations for Fuelab and Aeromotive pumps, and a sump, you all must know more about his build than he posted in this thread. I certainly hope he's doing some big power modifications to warrant all that fuel, otherwise he's just pissing away money on a big pump he doesn't need, along with all the big hoses and fittings to supply it. Same goes for the sump, deleting the factory filter bowl, etc.

It would be nice if the OP would explain what he's wanting to feed with this fuel system work. We have quite successfully fed up to 190s with a stock pump, through the stock filter, with our regulated return, without dropping the tank, without a sump and without big hoses and fittings. If he's not doing 190s or larger, and if reliability is as important as he made it sound...why would he ever want to ditch so much of the OE stuff that works and works well for miles and miles and miles???

Mdub707

Reaction score
I can't even maintain proper pressure with stock injectors and a tune. I'm using a brand new stock pump, the blue spring (which doesn't solve volume issues) and the old style fuel filters from Ford. I am of course, reading fuel pressure behind the heads, but it drops like a rock on the skinny pedal. I don't see how a RR would help that at all, that's a volume issue, not a pressure issue. Of course, every truck is different, but I am always curious to see what guys would read for fuel pressure if they measured behind the heads, instead of at the fuel bowl.

bboteler

Reaction score
Dennis: are there benefits to a sump supplying the factory pump, getting away from the straws?

Latest posts

Members online