D66 vs Stock

Reaction score
If this has been asked and I missed it, someone please post an appropriate link.

That said, I have a hypermax I/C made to mate up to the factory turbo. I plan to put it on when I install my water/meth. My intention is to also get my injectors redone to 175/30% and put on a D66.

Is a D66 worth it? I will eventually go with a S300 or better... Eventually. But not til I'm ready to just have the truck as a toy.

My question is, spend the extra money on the D66, or roll with the stocker for awhile and save some pesos to put towards a real turbo and all the fixins?

Secondly, if I stay with my stocker, are 175/30s too much for it? It's still a stout turbo, but I know building bigger around it slowly makes it a ticking time bomb.

Thoughts?

Smokin6-0

Reaction score
Good question. I am sort of kicking around the same dilemma now. I would actually like to go even bigger with the sticks.

old man dave

Reaction score
I would just save your money and go with a H2e style mount later. I've used a stock turbo with stage IIs and a 1.0 housing for over 80K miles but others hate this combo.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I think a 66 would work really good with those sticks, I don't really see why you'd go with a bigger more expensive turbo unless your planning on going with bigger injectors than you mentioned. Beans has done over 500hp on a few trucks with that turbo an decent sized hybrids.
On the flip side, if your dead set on running a different turbo down the road than I wouldn't bother buying a 66. Your stock turbo can live pretty long with those injectors depending how hard you beat your truck

Reaction score
I will probably go bigger yet at some point, but it wouldn't be for awhile.

How much is it gonna smoke?

Seriously, it's fairly smoky when I want it to be now. Would a D66 clean up 175/30s much better than the stocker? I don't need a cloud all the time when I tow. Or do you all think a decent tow tune would do ok?

BTW I have stage ones in it now. The 160/stock nozzle jobs.

Thanks for the input guys!

woodduck97

Reaction score
Last edited:

BDP Tuner

Reaction score
D66 Turbo

We have done a lot of D66 turbo's with I's II's and III's from all kinds of injector companies. This turbo works great with all of them with the right tuning.

I had a van here about a year ago and he had FFD ST II's, E Fuel system, Stealth HPOP and some other mods that I can't rember right now. We did a before and after (BC the van is very easy to swap turbos with the truck hot) and we seen a 28.9 HP increase and I do not rember the TQ right now but we picked up there too.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about the turbo ar any of our setups, give us a call or PM me or Eric.

woodduck97

Reaction score
You've been through a few stockers right Danny? Where have you found the breaking point to be?

My stock turbo died faster with stage ones then the new injectors. 1st turbo lasted about 4k miles. Got a stock rebuild one from vendor lasted bout 500 miles. Worked me a deall with the d66 cause something was wrong with the rebuild on the stocker I got. had the 66 for awhile sold it to Wint to get my injectors and had his stock turbo on my truck for a year and a half with about 9k hard hard miles. Pulling and racing and just beating the **** outta it. It started to get a small bit of play in it last week. So I now have Jon Manns old turbo on the truck and running strong as can be still. Note wint's stock turbo had over 200k on it too and out lived my original one that had about 160.

woodduck97

Reaction score
We have done a lot of D66 turbo's with I's II's and III's from all kinds of injector companies. This turbo works great with all of them with the right tuning.

I had a van here about a year ago and he had FFD ST II's, E Fuel system, Stealth HPOP and some other mods that I can't rember right now. We did a before and after (BC the van is very easy to swap turbos with the truck hot) and we seen a 28.9 HP increase and I do not rember the TQ right now but we picked up there too.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions about the turbo ar any of our setups, give us a call or PM me or Eric.

Just letting ya know I am not knocking your turbo just stating that I dont see the since in upgrading if he plans to go much larger down the road.

Reaction score
I don't intend to pull or race, just my play toy, do-all and something to dyno from time to time.

Assuming my stocker is the one that came on the truck new (I bought it at 170k) it's got 250k on it now. I have a complete engine I can rob another off of if need be. Mine still spools up fast and hard, I just wish I could put a life expectancy on it haha

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
with the bigger injectors you wont need that smaller housing. itll cause too much back pressure and really kill the turbo

btw i blew mine in one day from hitting 55psi with 250/200s. iv since changed tuning and 45psi its till living so i think that is about the max limit of them.i wont push mine any farther than that

Reaction score
Mine has made around 35-37 iirc, I don't push it much past 25 if I can help it, just to keep it alive. Thanks for the tip, I wasn't sure if the smaller housing was gonna help,or hurt

Latest posts

Members online