Dash is going out??

d.j.pherigo

Reaction score
The last few weeks I have noticed my speedometer has started to wobble, or bounce at steady speeds. It now drops down to zero routinely and the truck then starts shifting funky.
An autozone scanner found the vss (vehicle speed sensor) to be bad, and I replaced it. The problem still exists.
Since the speedometer issue, my voltage gauge now sticks all the way to the left, or all the way to the right.
Is it possible my gauge cluster is going bad, or am I just lucky to have both of these problems at the same time?

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Did you check the wiring to the vss also? Did you happen to pull the diff cover and check in there?

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
The problem you have, especially since you changed the VSS, is that the PSOM is going bad in your instrument cluster. If you watch the odometer you will also notice that it goes blank when this happens. It is very common on these trucks. It is due to poor soldering, time, and heat. There are a couple of capacitors and an IC chip that come loose and cause the problem. If you know a good electronics person you can have them resolder them pretty cheap. Well much cheaper than sending it out or buying a new one.

Latest posts