Degas bottle empty but hasn't puked

riemer

Reaction score
I've been running IDP's extreme street for 7 months with out a problem. I recently added a dieselsite coolant filter and have now my degas bottle has been emptied 2 times. The first time I figured it was due to adding the coolant filter but now it's empty again. I changed the oil last weekend and there was no water in it. Anyone have any ideas?

78f100

Reaction score
Pressure test the cooling system, I had a heater hose leaking a tiny bit when I bought my truck. Never could see it when I drove it, I had to put 20psi on it before it showed up. If you still have egr coolers one may be leaking.

riemer

Reaction score
The first time it emptied i wrote it off due to the addition of the filter.
I only have 1200 miles on since I put on the filter and the new degas cap, according to instructions you change the filter at 3k miles (I think). I can not see any leaks and I do still have the egr coolers on the truck.

I will try a pressure test this week. I can rent a tester at any auto parts right?

78f100

Reaction score
I think advance auto has one for rent, I got a decent one at Harbor Freight it will do just about any style cooling system. I would put pressure on it and leave it for a while, parked on concrete. You should find it, if it smokes white after you pressure test it its a egr cooler leaking.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
I am willing to bet that you have a leak on the filter housing by the spare port. The fittings on these seem to leak A LOT. Watch for small spots on the driveway or parking spots.

bts

Reaction score
Mine did the same. Clamps were junk, would't close enough around the hoses. Replaced them and added a lot of sealant tape to the bypass port and no more leaks. Took a hell of a long time to find the leaks!!

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Like BTS said, just take your fittings apart and put sealant tape on all the fittings that have threaded connections. We have seen lots of these fittings leaking. Especially the bypass port.

riemer

Reaction score
I found the leak today! It was in the "T" fitting on the firewall. The hose clamp on the the line to the filter was loose and leaking.

One a side note, I wasnt able to check the coolant pressure because the Advanced and Auto Zone didnt have one that fit. Anyone one have any ideas on where i can find one? I just want to make sure that was the only issue.

Latest posts

Members online