Delete EGR or not..

Danny26

Reaction score
Hello, been a member on this forum for a while and after seeing all the crazy numbers 6.4's are laying down on I finally uprgraded from my 7.3. But sure enough as I am driving it back from the auto auction it starts to over heat, I pull over and check the coolant and sure enough the cap blows off and shoots coolant all over, take it to the dealer and they tell me it is a hole in the radiator that ended up frying the lower cooler. Question now is whether I should replace the coolers or delete them, I was planning on tuning and doing a dpf/cat delete and leaving the EGR alone so I could easily just throw the dpf back on and pass emissions testing here in Idaho, but now that they are fried I am wondering if I could still pass an emission test without the coolers. The truck is a 2008 with 116,000 miles on it. New to emissions equipment and wondering what some of you guys have done. Thanks

Last edited:

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If you are worried about emissions....

Tune, delete, intake, and Bullet Proof EGR coolers.

That way you don't have to worry about the EGR coolers anymore, but they are still on the truck and functional. Then if you need to do an emissions test you only have to put the DPF back on.

chromehound

Reaction score

That way you don't have to worry about the EGR coolers anymore, but they are still on the truck and functional. Then if you need to do an emissions test you only have to put the DPF back on.

So the EGR coolers are the same on the 6.4 as the 6.0, all I see listed is stuff for the 6.0 on their site but, I know zero about the coolers except they cause problems and I know less than that about the 6.0 to 6.4 interchangable parts.

Danny26

Reaction score
So the EGR coolers are the same on the 6.4 as the 6.0, all I see listed is stuff for the 6.0 on their site but, I know zero about the coolers except they cause problems and I know less than that about the 6.0 to 6.4 interchangable parts.

Looks like Bulletproof diesel (site sponsor) makes them for both as they are different, 6.4 has two coolers to the 6.0's one. I am still learning this stuff too...

Danny26

Reaction score

That sounds like the best solution, thanks for the information. I will be in contact with you guys soon for some tuning!

Latest posts

Members online