Getting ready for an oil change

4cstr

Reaction score
Hey all...getting ready to do "my" first oil change. I had the dealer change the oil last time, and after getting raped to the tune of $250 decided that I could do this on my own.

I am going to run Rotella T6 5w-40. I have Motorcraft fuel and oil filters and also purchased a Fumoto oil drain valve to install for the next change.

What "gotchas" do I need to worry about, if any? I remember seeing something about plastic pans vs. metal pans. I have a plastic pan on the truck. Any issues with the plastic pan?

Truck just turned over 19k miles. Current oil has 4500 miles on it, but it has been in there for 15 months. Yeah, truck doesn't see many miles during the winter months, basically a camper tugger.

Thanks
Dave

sagebel

Reaction score
I don't think the Fumoto valve will fit a plastic pan unless they have added a new valve to fit in the plastic pan (if your Fumoto valve has standard drain plug threads it will not fit a plastic pan). The metal pan was added mid-2012 and was definitely an upgrade. SPE sells a metal pan kit.

When you pull the plastic yellow plug be ready for oil RIGHT NOW in a long arc. I always put the front edge of my drain pan under the drain plug and the oil would still nearly shoot over it if I didn't move the pan. I always punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to drain it as well.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What he said^^^

The first time I drained my oil it was still hot and I had the drain pan about a foot past the edge of the pan.. it still shot over the drain pan and poured all over my side and stomach... that was the very first oil change that was done on the truck and I had a fumoto ordered that night. I should have gotten the 90° style but I got the strait one and put a chunk of hose on it so I can bend it down to drain it... punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and make sure you puncture all the way through to the core or you will wear a lot of that oil too.. let it drain till it is just a drip and crack it loose.

I run exactly 13 quarts. Keeps it in the middle of the hash marks.. there is an oil change tio thread on here somewhere too.

live life full throttle

ghohouston

Reaction score
When re installing the lower fuel filter cap, go SLOW with constant pressure, and watch where the plug is. You will feel the filter hit its "lock" when it is place, and the plug will be lined up where the harness will reach it. I've seen guys at work break a ton of them. I was the only one in the shop that hasnt broken one.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
When re installing the lower fuel filter cap, go SLOW with constant pressure, and watch where the plug is. You will feel the filter hit its "lock" when it is place, and the plug will be lined up where the harness will reach it. I've seen guys at work break a ton of them. I was the only one in the shop that hasnt broken one.

That would be good advice if he was doing fuel filters...

live life full throttle

4cstr

Reaction score
When I was shopping for the Fumoto valve, it was very specific when i went through the steps to find it. However, I was thinking it was similar to my old e99 in that the plug was on the bottom of the pan, not the side. Thinking I may have to send back this valve and get the correct one. SPE?

sagebel

Reaction score
The metal pan has a traditional threaded plug on the back. It is best to have a valve with a nipple for a piece if tubing to direct the oil into the drain pan. SPE is Snyder Performance Engineering. They are a supporting vendor here.

diligent1

Reaction score
I use a peace of cardboard and bend it in a v shape approx eight inches wide and sixteen long and use it to funnel the oil into the pan works great.

01PSD

Reaction score
There really isn't an issue with the plastic pan IMO, it's just a piece of mind type of thing. Never know what you might hit on road. So the 6.7 oil filters are on the bottom again like the 7.3s were? Fuuuuuuuuu LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There really isn't an issue with the plastic pan IMO, it's just a piece of mind type of thing. Never know what you might hit on road. So the 6.7 oil filters are on the bottom again like the 7.3s were? Fuuuuuuuuu LOL

Yep, back where they belong.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online