Give your input on tq converters

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ive got the motor out of my 2k. Its getting a serious cleaning and all new seals, paint(silver for.leak detection), and mods to keep it together. The oil systems will be redone, fuel system completely redone too, from filler neck to injectors and injector cups. It will all be new, clean and ready for the next 260k. My power level will increase as a byproduct of the fuel and hpo systems being upgraded.

Ive got a newer, low mileage automatic that works great and would no.doubt.last me a long time but its rockin' a single disc ford.converter. Im contemplating getting a replacement hd.converter from ford which is a triple disc unit and seems to be under 500 dollars. Would this be a good.choice? Or should I seek one with a billet face?

This is a mod id like to do for peace of mind. I am going to install a full billet unit this.coming year but wanted something that will beef up the stocker so im not worried about using power to pass people with that chintzy single disc.stocker. Im thinking 700 is.my.ceiling for.cost as putting a 1400$ unit in a trans that will be used.for.about a year seems foolish. Im hoping the ford unit will work.

Lemme know what you think!

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'd spend the $$$ on a decent tq and valve body(if you don't already have 1), them 2 mods plus good tuning will go a long way in making a trans live longer. I could be wrong, but I thought Jap had a package deal on them.

*edit* I thought I heard somewhere that if you buy a valve body an tq from Brian at BTS, that if later you decide to get your Trans built by him he'll knock some $ off cuz you already have those parts. I'm not positive, just something to maybe look into

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Right on davey. I just didnt.want to.get a couple grand.rolled.into a.stock trans.

My first.choice would be a pi convertor but ill save it.for a.new tranny.

You saying that putting any old triple in isnt a good.idea? I do intend on putting a valve body in too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ummm, honestly, idk. I would say all.of it but most likely its.gonna.depend on how.it.feels. I just know that single.disk didnt enjoy those 2nd gear lockups with 175/80s at ~400hp. The next setup.will be capable of 500+. I dont expect a stocker to handle 5 even with an upgraded converter.

Id say.im hoping i can run my truck @ 400hp by adding a better converter for the.spring and.early summer until a built race.trans.goes in. Arisley said he put a bd triple in his with 250/200s and its been going for years now.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
When i was still auto i ran a pi. But had i done it over again id have gotten a racerx. I run a racerx 3disc non-billet and vb in my tow rig. It put down 390hp in the tune i tow in. And 420 in my dd tune.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Right on davey. I just didnt.want to.get a couple grand.rolled.into a.stock trans.

My first.choice would be a pi convertor but ill save it.for a.new tranny.

You saying that putting any old triple in isnt a good.idea? I do intend on putting a valve body in too.

I hear ya on the getting a ton of $ wrapped up in a stocker, been down that road. A triple disk will be better than a single, I'd just be leery of the cheap off brand 1's personally.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
If what you are running now has been good without any issues, dont spend any money on it, keep running it and use that money towards your trans build you want to do soon ???

davey99ps

Reaction score
If what you are running now has been good without any issues, dont spend any money on it, keep running it and use that money towards your trans build you want to do soon ???

I also thought of mentioning this. In both my trucks I dumped money into trying to get a little more life out of the stock Trans while saving for a built 1, an both times all it ended up doing was costing me even more than if I had just done it once an done it right. I'd still do a valve body, but give some serious thought into leaving the rest alone an taking it easy till you can do the built trans, in the long run its cheaper

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats what im thinking, not spending a ton. I figured a 350$ triple.from ford and vb would make last. Guys, ive got no.doubt that I could make it last, i dont hammer the truck too much. I.dont offroad either. My biggest concern was having it.in a.500+ hp tune and rolling into it hard and BLAMMO, the convertor.or.trans explodes.

under pressure

Reaction score
http://www.roadrunnerconverters.com/ford.htm

Roadrunner billett single, 6 stud rated at 600hp
Roadrunner billett triple 6 stud rated at 750hp
?.i didnt ask for ratings on the BadBoy converter

These are a great budget converter with a 1 yr warranty. Lots of trucks runnin theses down here as there local and easy to work with.

Last edited:

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Have one in my truck for the last year and still going strong running low 11s

EEEEEHHHHHH powered by this (╯°□°)╯

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Sounds like your on the right track, putting the absolute least money possible into your current trans. to save for a built one would be at the top of my list of ideas.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ty, last i knew brian(bts) will put the tq converter and vb towards a full bts tranny if you decide to go that route in the future.. fwiw, i had a ford hd trans in my truck before i got the bts and at my power level it lasted 6 months. but i hammer the chit out of my truck.

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online