Good all around shop welder suggestions

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I like my Lincoln power mig 216. I would have bought something with digital control but this was a deal i couldn't turn down.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Find a good used Miller xmt 304 cc/cv model with a spool gun/controller for aluminum and you can weld everything. It will do dc gtaw, gmaw and smaw. Just need a a tig torch with the gas valve on it to do scratch start tig. Plus, it's an inverter so it comes in a decent size package. I see them all the time on CL for way less than what they go for new. Here is an example of one in VA that comes with spoolgun, wc-24 controller and tig torch for 1500.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/4468874458.html

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Check out the new miller multimatic I bought one a while back and for occasional fab work in the garage you can't go wrong it's a multiprocess machine. I weld for a living in the aerospace industry and have used many machines. For the garage the multimatic was my choice

ja_cain

Reaction score
The Miller Multimatics are cool but just not enough balls for thicker aluminum (running a spool gun). That's why I like the xmt due to its higher output rating and better duty cycle. I see these all the time for dirt cheap on CL. Just have to make sure it is a cc/cv model as cv is required for mig operation.

legalhair

Reaction score
Hello. I am getting a welding machine. which one do you guys suggest? I want to be able to do bodywork as well as welding on bag brackets and stuff. I just need to know what size and brand to get. thanks a lot

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Hello. I am getting a welding machine. which one do you guys suggest? I want to be able to do bodywork as well as welding on bag brackets and stuff. I just need to know what size and brand to get. thanks a lot
Are you wanting to do Steel only? Aluminum as well? Stainless?

For Steel only and geared towards body work and metals 5/16" thick or less a 95 amp welder is enough. You want gas for cleaner welds.

I have a small miller but it is so old they probably don't make it anymore. I also have a stick welder for anything over 1/4" that I do.

Reaction score
There are lots of options for small welders, lots of multi voltage machines. Stick with known brand Hobart 200, or 211, Miller 211. These are good machines for the garage

joebuck

Reaction score
I am by no means a good welder, But i have a few friends that do it for a living in all different kinds of work and there damn good at it, they make it look easy lol. But most have said for smaller garage/shop machines there fans of Miller, For big rig welding machines there fans of Lincoln.

I personally have Miller in my shop for MIG/TIG and Stick ad can say there machines are damn nice. But price wise a Vulcan or Hobart or even Everlast are still really well made even YES welders I've heard good things about.

Reaction score
407AB64F-4D2A-45D9-B55A-F72EBA08C23A.jpeg

Two of my favorite welders

turbonitrous

Reaction score
My dad is looking into getting a welder for our garage. We don't do a lot of fabrication, but enough where having a welder comes in handy. He's planning on using it to fix the western hauler body on his 450 first.

He grew up using mainly a stick welder and that's what he's most comfortable with. He's been looking at some AC/DC ones so he can have a little more flexibility.

What would you guys recommend?
Comes down to how much you want to spend at the end of the day. I don’t do it for a living, nor do I do it everyday but I usually end up needing something different every time and so I split my money rolled the dice on titanium unlimited 200 multiprocess mig, Tig, stick and it works just fine and used the rest of the money for a plasma cutter

Latest posts

Members online