Guys i am in a pickle

HellFire

Reaction score
Afghan's cold is pissing me off. I lost one friend and two severely injured, one is missing half a leg and one might not have an arm soon. My dog is having spinal issues, might require a surgery that can't be done in Afghan. If that wasn't enough, Air Force gives me papers for transfer once i get back to US. Transfer is to Korea for my 3rd tour, in 6 years. Not an issue really but really is an issue, I will get to go to two places after Korea---Japan or a little place next to Amsterdam. I don't think Netherlands has a HUGE diesel market over there so servicing my baby might not be possible. Same goes for Japan. I love my truck and its troublesome nature ( its potential badness gives it character ) but i can't see myself towing it to a spot by Kadena to get an EGR related issue taken care of. What should do? Sell it and get something with a 5.9CR Cummins in it that will run for forever and a day with no issues or take my chances overseas with my PSD? I won't be back stateside for about 4 years or so. Not a rant session, just need to gather some perspectives from someone who is on the outside looking in. Good day to yall.

Atsah

Reaction score
6.0 I take it? If so sell it, dosen't sound like a very good enviroment for a truck that has so many potential problems.. He!! I worry about mine everytime I'm an hour away from home..

madman1234509

Reaction score
Haha not like im one to talk but sounds like its a good opportunity to learn how to work on it yourself :p .... Itd be sick having a decent HP big diesel American truck in a foreign overseas country..... I mean, isn't that why they all hate us? " stupid Americans need to make everything bigger than necessary and consume way more then they need"

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Being its in the 6.4 section I'd say that's what it is:poke:. Thats a tough call man nothing out there is "unbreakable". Just get it somewhere and delete the emissions. Good luck

chromehound

Reaction score
If you're that worried about having a place to get it fixed why not sell it and buy a gasser since most any place can fix them? It may not be what you'd really want but it seems the most practical. Just my $0.02

Atsah

Reaction score
Being its in the 6.4 section I'd say that's what it is:poke:. Thats a tough call man nothing out there is "unbreakable". Just get it somewhere and delete the emissions. Good luck

Well it's in 6.4 aftermarket.. :poke: I thought maybe the op didn't put it in the correct section.. Considering he outlined that his truck has had lots of problems, I figured it could be a 6.0.. At any rate, I vote gasser..

strokin20

Reaction score
haha i can just picture that over here in scheidam. i've been working outside of amsterdam for the last six months and in that time, i've seen one f250 and a couple of cummins. almost every vehicle over here is a diesel though. from what i hear, the taxes over here are so insane people can barely afford to drive anything over here.

HD F250

Reaction score
I am in Yokosuka, Japan and we do not sell diesel on the base and gas is sold by the liter off base and it is very expensive. Honestly, I dont even think you can buy ULSD diesel either because there diesels have very little emissions equipment on them. Not to mention that it would take you twice as long to get anywhere here in a large vehicle.

So......I would sell it, buy a car here because they are dirt cheap and save a lot of money while you are here. You can easily save $2-3k a month while you are here and buy any damn truck you want when u transfer back stateside.

I only have my truck because I got TDY to FL two times a year and needed something to drag my Harley back and forth when I went home. I was not wasting my money on a gasser, never again......

Good luck with your decision!

Joe

Last edited:

David S.

Reaction score
go with a gasser.

best of luck to your dog and your buds who were recently wounded

dasboot

Reaction score
sorry about all your comrades! tell them some of us still support and worry about them.
I'm sure you should be able to get a diesel car over there and have fun with it.
If you have a good condition 7.3, I would store it, anything else sell it and buy something when you get back.

HellFire

Reaction score
6.0 I take it? If so sell it, dosen't sound like a very good enviroment for a truck that has so many potential problems.. He!! I worry about mine everytime I'm an hour away from home..
No sir, its a 08 XL. I don't worry about driving it but it is on the back of my mind since it has 115k on the clock. and its a Job 1
Haha not like im one to talk but sounds like its a good opportunity to learn how to work on it yourself :p .... Itd be sick having a decent HP big diesel American truck in a foreign overseas country..... I mean, isn't that why they all hate us? " stupid Americans need to make everything bigger than necessary and consume way more then they need"
Lol yeah it would be great to show them what a real truck is all about but the odds are stacked against me :( and i am no good with a set of tools.
Well it's in 6.4 aftermarket.. :poke: I thought maybe the op didn't put it in the correct section.. Considering he outlined that his truck has had lots of problems, I figured it could be a 6.0.. At any rate, I vote gasser..
Well my next question would have been to do the proper mods to make it last 4 years with minimal maintenance but looks like selling is the only option.
I am in Yokosuka, Japan and we do not sell diesel on the base and gas is sold by the liter off base and it is very expensive. Honestly, I dont even think you can buy ULSD diesel either because there diesels have very little emissions equipment on them. Not to mention that it would take you twice as long to get anywhere here in a large vehicle.

So......I would sell it, buy a car here because they are dirt cheap and save a lot of money while you are here. You can easily save $2-3k a month while you are here and buy any damn truck you want when u transfer back stateside.

I only have my truck because I got TDY to FL two times a year and needed something to drag my Harley back and forth when I went home. I was not wasting my money on a gasser, never again......

Good luck with your decision!

Joe
Your advice is dead on solid, thank you...Ummm skylines still dirt cheap there?:joy:
go with a gasser.

best of luck to your dog and your buds who were recently wounded
Thank you kindly sir.
sorry about all your comrades! tell them some of us still support and worry about them.
I'm sure you should be able to get a diesel car over there and have fun with it.
If you have a good condition 7.3, I would store it, anything else sell it and buy something when you get back.
If i go to Japan...I will fulfill my ricer dreams and try to get an older Skyline

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
What ever you end up doing I wish you well. Thanks for serving.

I'd buy a cheap car....stack the paper and buy what you want when you get back stateside.....

HD F250

Reaction score
Hellfire,

I forgot to say it also in my first post...sorry about your fellow soldiers, but we all accept that risk everyday.

Your advice is dead on solid, thank you...Ummm skylines still dirt cheap there?

Yes, they are still very cheap. I bought a 97 Nissan Sunny Super Saloon (AKA...Nissan Sentra SE) with 35,000km for $1500 and haven't had one issue.

HellFire

Reaction score
What ever you end up doing I wish you well. Thanks for serving.

I'd buy a cheap car....stack the paper and buy what you want when you get back stateside.....
No sweat sir...Its tough to even think that i will have to go back to a gasser though :(. I didn't keep any stock parts either, i will have to sell it with the spartan and stuff. Ugh
Hellfire,

I forgot to say it also in my first post...sorry about your fellow soldiers, but we all accept that risk everyday.

Yes, they are still very cheap. I bought a 97 Nissan Sunny Super Saloon (AKA...Nissan Sentra SE) with 35,000km for $1500 and haven't had one issue.
Yeah no sweat brosif...My infantry counter parts are solid peeps, it tears my heart to see any of them hurt or KIA. Its even worse when hospital can't tell me what their current status is.

Oh i had a Nissan Sentra and never again. How about trucks? Older Tacos/Hiluxs around? 80s/early 90s tacomas are bulletproof little buggers.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Yeah it would be real risky taking it over there. If you do end up buying a skyline post up some pics for us! :drool:

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

charlie-2

Reaction score
gasser or cheap car and uhh a skyline would be boss! and a 5.9lcr for reliablility? :blah:

HellFire

Reaction score
Yeah it would be real risky taking it over there. If you do end up buying a skyline post up some pics for us! :drool:

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Older (mid 90s) GT-R would be a nice weekend cruiser...
gasser or cheap car and uhh a skyline would be boss! and a 5.9lcr for reliablility? :blah:
If i end up going overseas (Super highly likely that i will) then i will probably purchase a E-Class E320 Diesel to retain my faithfulness to the diesel. I read absolutely nothing bad about Bluetec motors and my buddy gets mid 30s (highway/city mixed) on his '08 model. Gassers aren't the future!

PS...Whats wrong with 5.9CR? Lightly modified CRs usually outlast the chassis itself if taken care of properly. Am i missing something here?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
PS...Whats wrong with 5.9CR? Lightly modified CRs usually outlast the chassis itself if taken care of properly. Am i missing something here?

A few big issues I see are things like loosing a tranny & having to get it rebuilt or, dirty fuel in some of those country's. So a aftermarket system would be a must. Also if you needed something like a #4 injector line how long would you wait for it to arrive & what would the cost be? That's why people put the old 5.9L 12v in newer trucks & have them shipped over, they will still run on dirty fuel.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.