HPFP Concerns

farmboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

After reading some treads on a few other boards I see that the HPFP failure is a issue on the 6.7 just like on the 6.4. I actually just bought my 6.7 because my 6.4 is down due to the HPFP failing..... HPFP is replaced all 8 injectors are being replaced next week. I'm looking at a 5-8k bill on the 6.4 and once it is fixed it will be sold. (Although I'm sure it will be good to go for another 100k).

Anyway my question is if the HPFP failure is as common on the 6.7 as the 6.4. And also what can be done to help prevent it from happening. What additives should be used if any, and does changing the fuel filters at regular intervals really help that much for this issue? To my understanding this issue is much worse in the US than in Canada due to our fuel standards and Bosch doesn't even build these HPFPs for our "poor" fuel scar ratings.

Also, I am a farmer and fill up at home from a 2000 gallon road diesel tank. Our fuel is always very good, but I obviously can't produce individual fill up receipts if ford were to want them in the event of this failing before my warranty is up.

I'm not going to stay up at night and worry my hpfp may go out the next time I drive. But if any proven preventative action can help I would certainly be interested.

I think it is just absurd that this is such an issue. I told myself I was going to keep my 6.4 until it had 300k miles thinking since it was a diesel it wouldn't have any fuel/motor problems. Well I'm telling myself I will keep my 6.7 for 10 years (probably 200-300 K miles) but I'm now wondering if I shouldn't just trade every few years or 100k miles to try and avoid issues.

I use my truck as a daily driver and also to pull farm implements and a skid steer quite frequently in the spring summer and fall. I guess diesel pickups aren't what they used to be and to expect them to be more reliable is foolish. I'm sure most people will never face a HPFP failure but it is certainly a possibility.

Any input/advice on preventative maintenance would be greatly appreciated. As well as educated opinions on if this is just as big of an issue for the 6.7 as it is for the 6.4.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
ITs a common rail issue not just a ford, or 6.4 issue in particular, they are all sensitive to moisture in the fuel as well as poor fuel quality. A good clean common rail system should in theory last forever but one bad tank of fuel will ruin parts fast. They are fuel lubricated pumps and they make crazy pressure and volume, the system by nature is high demand

farmboy

Reaction score
ITs a common rail issue not just a ford, or 6.4 issue in particular, they are all sensitive to moisture in the fuel as well as poor fuel quality. A good clean common rail system should in theory last forever but one bad tank of fuel will ruin parts fast. They are fuel lubricated pumps and they make crazy pressure and volume, the system by nature is high demand

I understand that as many of the Duramax trucks are having the same issue. It is the Bosch Pump... VW's have the same pump (CP4 I believe) and are having the same problems. I just am wondering if there is much I can do to insure fuel quality and if any additives can add a bit of lubrication by chance the fuel I add is not up to par.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online