Hypothetical head ideas

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well I have been thinking about this quite a bit lately. I know a couple of people have tried to make some billet heads. But if your going that far why not make them flow "reverse" like the 6.7? I would think you could keep the valvetrain the same to use the stock rockers and pushrods and whatnot(just move the port to the opposit side of the head) and it would keep some of the engineering down some. It would eliminate the up pipes and it would spool the turbo(s) faster while freeing up room for the downpipe. And the intake manifolds could be similar to say the RCD exhaust manifolds but with the inlet from the IC centered. I'm just thinking out loud here, but if were trying to make a better head whynot swing for the fence and make the best head possible? Just a thought, but what do you think?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Yes I agree. And who says it has to be a billet head, Whynot just make a cast one. I mean they hold up on several big hp builds for all of the big 3.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I knew when I saw the title and the OP...oh this otta be good. So were you thinkin on the ICs something like the quad turbos deal where you have 2 ICs and one feeds each bank and then have the intake similar to Cummins but on each bank? I know they are expensive as h#ll to build and design, but I am really surprised there aint option on the 6.4 by now. I am really interested to see what the guys that know a h#ll of a lot more than me have to say on this idea.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I knew when I saw the title and the OP...oh this otta be good. So were you thinkin on the ICs something like the quad turbos deal where you have 2 ICs and one feeds each bank and then have the intake similar to Cummins but on each bank? I know they are expensive as h#ll to build and design, but I am really surprised there aint option on the 6.4 by now. I am really interested to see what the guys that know a h#ll of a lot more than me have to say on this idea.

LOL
Well yeah you could do either the twin IC like on the quad setup or have a y-pipe off a single IC to feed each bank if needed to keep the cost down. And I was kind of thinking a bolt on intake that feeds from the IC to the center of the 4 ports on the head. If that makes sense? But obviously its just an idea I had rolling around in my head, but if somebody is making a competition head why not get crazy with it, and use every advantage you can. I mean heck it works on the 6.7 right?

powerstroked08

Reaction score
You would have to figure out how to re grind the cam if you were planning on keeping stock valvetrain in its place.

Valves would have to switched too. It would really be quiet the under taking.

Not if you just moved where the intake port comes from(instead of from the valley just "flop" the port to the other side where the fender is) That way the cam and all head components would retain the same location. They would just feed from the opposite side of the head( I don't mean use the exhaust port as the intake I'm saying move the intake port to the fender side of the head and move the exhaust port to the valley side of the head)

powerstroked08

Reaction score
So were you thinkin on the ICs something like the quad turbos deal where you have 2 ICs and one feeds each bank .

To keep it even simpler you could have the top of the IC have 2 outlets. One on each side. One to feed each bank without a second IC or a Y-pipe.

dsberman94

Reaction score
You could have the truck have two intakes and two inlets into the ic too. But who's gonna actually do it is the question.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
If your going to go thought the trouble of doing a complete recast to flip the heads. Why not just cast it with larger runners.

Yes have them cast bigger would help, but I was just thinking it would better use the exhaust energy with less egt loss to the turbine housing and be able to get rid of the up pipes. Just an idea is all.

B585Ford

Reaction score
If your going to go thought the trouble of doing a complete recast to flip the heads. Why not just cast it with larger runners.

Isn't space a big issue these had when they were trying to make a better flowing billet? I am asking cause i never heard a clear reason why someone hasnt made one yet other than cost and probably a small market. Granted even if the hood was the spacing issue, it would probably be a h#ll of a lot easier to redoubt the hood or move any other things that restrict it.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I'm not one to totally shoot down a guys idea. Lol. I'd like to see someone go through the 7.3 and give it a little new tech on things like the heads. But that won't happen either. Haha

Latest posts

Members online