Icon 4.5" Install Review

alekfarmer

Reaction score
So i installed my Icon 4.5" stage 1 lift with the help of a friend and his shop. I went with a 6" block in the rear instead of the standard 5", which in my opinion should come with the lift. The truck sits perfectly level. Overall great quality components and a great ride with 37" toyo RT tires. BUT, the instructions were a joke. Im talking absolutely horrible. They literally dont even mention half of the things that are being done. Not one word on the rear suspension, not one word on the radius arm drop brackets. They just say "install radius arm brackets" they dont tell you which way to mount the sway bar drop brackets. really Icon? Couldnt have written up a few install notes to help? What a joke. Luckily we arent idiots and figured it out by ourselves. If you are not mechanically inclined, i do not recommend installing this yourself. They are pretty much assuming whoever is installing the lift works for a 4x4 shop and wont even look at the instructions. Also my 2011 didnt have the holes for the drop brackets to mount underside of the passenger side frame. I had read this on another forum too about 2011 trucks. Of course Icon said they have never heard such a thing. So we had to mark the spots and drill 3 holes through our huge frame, which was fun. :/ also, the bending of the hard copper brake lines to extend down to their brackets is just ghetto. For $2400 i feel stainless brake line extensions should be included. I called Icon a few times over the past week with questions about wheel backspacing and install tips and stuff, and every different employee that answered the phone just said whatever was necessary to get me off the phone the fastest. One told me 4.5" backspacing only, one told me 5.5" backspacing only. One told me the kit came with alignment cams. So to actually get answers from somebody that knows what they are talking about, i had to called Carli and discuss 4.5" lifts with them. I settled on 20x9 wheels with 5" backspacing, and 37x13.50x20 toyo rt tires. Had just a tiny bit if rub on the bumper bracket, angle grinder fixed that fast. I just wanted to share some notes with yall. Took 10 hrs to install with two guys, and we hustled, and have both lifted and done many suspension mods on vehicles. Overall, i am pleased with the quality and ride no doubt. I would buy icon again, but their customer service and simple minded fella that wrote these instructions sure make it frustrating. And heres the part where yall call me a pussy and that you installed your icon 4.5 in two hrs while drinking a 6 pack lol. Good day

Last edited:

alekfarmer

Reaction score
Trying to attach a couple pictures

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144

alekfarmer

Reaction score
Love them so far. They look very good in person. No more noise than bfg all terrains or terra grapplers. The draw alot of attention because they are kind of rare to see down here in louisiana. They measure 12.8" wide on a 9" rim. Def do not buy the 12.50" wide tires, they must be very narrow.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I have the 35" version of the same tire you run. In order to actually make a 13.50 width, you'd need a wider wheel, look at toyo's site....it says they measure 13.6 wide on an 11" wide wheel. I have 10 wide's, mine measure 13.3" wide. You have 9 wides...so it makes sense IMO

alekfarmer

Reaction score
Color is called royal red. Believe they stopped production in 2011. I have no had the tires balanced twice by two different places, still some shudder in the steering wheel. Not bad, but a little. Havent driven enough to make a final conclusion on them

alekfarmer

Reaction score
Jomax, Its all aluminum and stainless steel, insulated like a ice chest between the layers. It has a max air cool fan built into the top that sucks the air up and out a vent on the top. Bought from mountain top custom kennels in Virginia. The truck would not be level with a 5" block. But my leaf springs are super weak compared to some newer trucks.

Latest posts

Members online