Loud ping in front end when I shift to 4x4

tuffduff

Reaction score
Yesterday I put my truck in 4x4 sitting still in drive. When the dash showed the truck in 4x4 high I started to let the truck roll forward at idle. PING with a loud engage sound under the hood. After I cleaned my pants I tried it again this time it went in and out fine. Is this something I need to worry about. first 4wd. Do you have to shift to neutral? Manual said it was fine to do it as long as you did not shift to low.

tuffduff

Reaction score
I also did a health report on it and it said something about a reprogram I will look again tonight. It is a 13 model.

spence36

Reaction score
I guess it s normal mine does
The Same thing. A few years back it had a problem engaging I took It in they said was the actuator they replaced it works great but once in awhile
It will engage hard (have to give it a a few seconds to engage) I was told by dealer ... I had them
Check it out again as I use 4x4 more Than most and it was all good . I just do it in neutral now with my foot off the gas and when I accelerate i just go slow and smooth for a few yards to make sure and once I know it's in I go for it . I kinda baby it as i need 4x4 and don't want any future problem or to get stuck when I need it .

2005 6.0

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn

Latest posts

Members online