Low pressure fuel pump issue

3lakesguy

Reaction score
Looking for advice on plan of action for my low pressure pump.

This past Friday I noticed a whining noise, similar to an electric pump/solenoid. Thought I tracked it to under the hood and assumed it was the wastegate solenoid. Drove about 1800 miles this weekend and the noise continued throughout the weekend. Upon coming home last night I crawled under the truck and found it was the low pressure pump howling at me. It's vibrating enough that you can feel it in the steering wheel.

I read almost a dozen threads on other forums about them (Can't find any threads here). 1 replaced under warranty because he didn't like the noise. 1 died then replaced under warranty. However mostly dead end threads.

The guy who got it warrantied for noise said the dealer initially pulled the fuel bowl to check for trash inside, and following that the noise quit for a short amount of time. So this morning I did the same, and the noise quit for about 30 minutes of run time. ALSO take note that I replaced both fuel filters about 2000 miles ago.

100% of my diesel comes either from my above ground tank where its filtered to 17 microns before pumping it into the truck, or its pumped from that tank, to my L tank then to my truck.

Truck has 87k miles on it, I bought it with 75k.

Attached are two videos. 1 of the key to run, not start and the pump making a bleeding noise, and 1 of the pump while truck is running.

D7-38D7C7A24CA8-30817-0000139B180631C0_zps9b74514b.jpg

stand by for other video.

12stroker

Reaction score
Well I can tell you this if its the pump that you think is going out get it replaced.
On my company truck my fuel pump grenaded last year and they had to replace every fuel line and injectors, etc with the fuel system. Thank god it wasn't my truck but the bill was just about 9K it still had warranty.

12stroker

Reaction score
Yeah I thought the same thing but ford told me it still takes out the system. It sucked my truck was in the shop for a month due to parts back ordered.

weekendwarriorfsw32

Reaction score
How? Not to call you out but we have had 2 trucks where the LPFP died and one of those came apart but the filters caught everything. Flushed the lines out and did new filters and a pump and its been fore for 6+ months.

Yeah I thought the same thing but ford told me it still takes out the system. It sucked my truck was in the shop for a month due to parts back ordered.

12stroker

Reaction score
Well if I can find the paper work ford told me that. They had to pull my cab to replace everything. do you think i would want my truck in the shop that long?
This was the first time I have ever owned a ford and no one had ever had this happen when it did it. Also you couldn't hear the LPFP pump run unless the ford house just replaced evey thing to just do it. That I do not know because it was under warranty.

java

Reaction score
I talked to the op a few days ago, he changed his filters a week or two ago.

Latest posts

Members online