LP batmowheel exploded.

FreddyM

Reaction score
Yup. Driving at about 5lbs of boost on cruise control.....loud pop and tons of white smoke....coasted to a stop and truck shut off on it's own...guessing it locked up with oil....batmowheel was balanced and installed by ford dealer...where it's sitting now....
Had 15k miles on batmowheel and was lovin it...and I just got back from driving 400 miles in one day yesterday....
I'm screwed aren't I?? thinking about slapping a 71 on it if it's cheaper than remmanned stock lP turbo..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 399

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Wow, snapped the shaft even, hope no metal bits went in the engine. If I were you I'd just go with a 71.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Yikes man! I'm surprised that happened especially with a balanced one. Either way, since the shaft snapped on that one, that turbo isn't even good as a core now. If I were you, I would find a used stock atmosphere (there are several on the forums) and buy a 71 anyway. Quite a bit more power than what you had for the same as putting a balanced batwheel in another new stocker.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Bullseye claims they balance them but I haven't seen that proof. I know of a batmo drop in wheel that was balanced and was way out of balance. I wanna say 21 grams but I'd have to verify that. Either way, it clearly wasn't balanced before it left bullseye.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Bullseye claims they balance them but I haven't seen that proof. I know of a batmo drop in wheel that was balanced and was way out of balance. I wanna say 21 grams but I'd have to verify that. Either way, it clearly wasn't balanced before it left bullseye.

21 grams?! YIKES.

FreddyM

Reaction score
Yikes man! I'm surprised that happened especially with a balanced one. Either way, since the shaft snapped on that one, that turbo isn't even good as a core now. If I were you, I would find a used stock atmosphere (there are several on the forums) and buy a 71 anyway. Quite a bit more power than what you had for the same as putting a balanced batwheel in another new stocker.

Haha thanks. Yea I'm still in shock from it all so ill start looking to see what's out there, a 71 sounds cool but I also still have a stock trans and that'll
Be some temptation to stomp on it.
Everyone I talked to says they've never seen a batmowheel do that so who knows...

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Damb that bat tired to fly away. Looks like it just got its wings cut off though.

White_monster

Reaction score
Turbo bark much? Pull the inlet to the ic off and see how much of the fins are there. Also with that damage the hp turbo is toast I bet. Doubtful much debris made it through the ic though.

FreddyM

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yea ill be back at the truck tomorrow to take a look at it and then Monday start disassembling everything. pretty sure it sent shards everywhere.

Thanks frank, yea it was stupid the way it happend. now I'm kicking myself for not doing the 71 off the bat

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I file the third notion that the high pressure turbo is hurt now too. But at least it's still a good core.

Out of balance doesn't usually break like that right away but it's hard to say. Once things happen they happen fast.

Keep an eye out on craigslist for used turbos.

Latest posts

Members online