My next step

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
Stock 7.3 with the obvious like 5" exhaust and intake. But no gauges or tuner. My mark is atleast 400hp and my question is should i do turbo or injector side first. Im on a budget but i feel like my injector rings are going bad due to the blue smoke and rough idle for a few seconds and i dont wanna do just inj. Rings now and later down the road need the thirst for 180/30 injectors. Some say ts 6 pos chip then go from there but im too ancy for higher injector timing on stock 90cc injectors. And finally.. im back and forth between stage 1 or stage 1.5 injectors, with 373k miles but i still want that room to grow.

1994.5 CCLB zf5

gnxtc2

Reaction score
You need gauges before doing anything else to the truck or atleast an EGT gauge.

To make HP, you need fuel. With the stock injectors (90cc), you are only to make in the area of 225 HP to the wheels with a chip, intake and exhaust.

How do you use the truck? Heavy tow, daily driver, pulling?? With bigger injectors, you might need a bigger turbo or intercooler.

But before you start modding your truck with the 373k on it, I would do a compression test to make sure it's healthly.

Billy T.
[email protected]

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
I use the truck as a daily and my work is literally down the road from where i live. Whenever i had it in the shop last year my diesel mechanic did a compression test and said he's never seen a truck with the miles i have on it with such little blow by. So thats a good thing. I havent pulled anything with it yet but it does have a goose neck on it so maybe a horse trailer oneday for the old lady.

1994.5 CCLB zf5

Optimator82

Reaction score
Do the supporting mods first. You don't have to do it all at once. As my budget allows I've been slowly upgrading and do the necessary mods to my truck that will support my future injectors. I plan to go with 160/30s. Also is your truck an auto or manual? An auto tranny isn't going like that kind of power thrown at it without some upgrades.

superpsd

Reaction score
Get a hydra chip from PHP. You will get acess to their library of tunes to try out. Even a tune on a stock injector truck is night and day. Then when you go bigger you can have tunes emailed to you by your choice of tuner. KC turbo has realesed their ball bearing drop in turbo you may want to look at that. The mechanical fuel system can support roughly 400hp of fuel give or take however E fuel does have benefits. You can dial back a tune to hold fuel pressure. If you don't plan to tow heavy you may even consider a small hybrid like a 200/30 or 200/100 with proper tuning. I have some larger injectors being Fed by a stock fuel pump and power is dialed back to hold pressure and well to keep the engine together.

Also your going to need a heavier duty clutch to hold power. You do have a single mass flywheel right? I toasted a stock level clutch in a hurry once the power was turned up.

Last edited:

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
Do the supporting mods first. You don't have to do it all at once. As my budget allows I've been slowly upgrading and do the necessary mods to my truck that will support my future injectors. I plan to go with 160/30s. Also is your truck an auto or manual? An auto tranny isn't going like that kind of power thrown at it without some upgrades.
Yes i was thinking soon of doing the beans efuel and t500 hpop then injectors. My truck has the zf5 tranny. I love my standard shift

1994.5 CCLB zf5

dillpurdy92

Reaction score
Get a hydra chip from PHP. You will get acess to their library of tunes to try out. Even a tune on a stock injector truck is night and day. Then when you go bigger you can have tunes emailed to you by your choice of tuner. KC turbo has realesed their ball bearing drop in turbo you may want to look at that. The mechanical fuel system can support roughly 400hp of fuel give or take however E fuel does have benefits. You can dial back a tune to hold fuel pressure. If you don't plan to tow heavy you may even consider a small hybrid like a 200/30 or 200/100 with proper tuning. I have some larger injectors being Fed by a stock fuel pump and power is dialed back to hold pressure and well to keep the engine together.

Also your going to need a heavier duty clutch to hold power. You do have a single mass flywheel right? I toasted a stock level clutch in a hurry once the power was turned up.
Yeah it had a dual flywheel and i got a single mass fly wheel installed. My thing i wanna get rid of that dang fuel bowl and mechanical pump for the fuel, too much bad with those things. And yeah ive been watching the kctp38 and i think they are just working on a intake boot at the moment. And as far as injectors aint hybrids pretty pricey?? Ive seen people say to reach the 400hp you can use 180/30 sticks.... at the end of the day i want #1 atleast 400 to 500hp. #2 a reliable set up. (And this is a daily so im not going to the tractor pulls every Saturday night. And #3 i want it to be fun of course.

Cheers

1994.5 CCLB zf5

79jasper

Reaction score
Hybrids for the most part don't use as much oil.
Seems if you shop around, the prices are pretty comparable.

I feel like all the "big name" efuel kits are way over priced. I paid half of what the other kits cost, for the same thing.
Definitely opens up the valley. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online