New trans, no gears...transfer case?

BackwoodsFiero

Reaction score
Just installed a new trans and first time starting it, I have no gears in 2wd. 1st-3rd when revving it, the revs are really sluggish, even though it's not moving. Also, it makes a grinding noise going into park. I have the manual 4x4 stick. I tried to put it in 4wd, but it will only go into 4x4 in Drive; in park it wont let me pull the lever and in reverse it grinds. Once in 4wd, then I have all my gears. I didn't drive it, just verified that it wanted to move in gear. What gives??? Any ideas appreciated!

BackwoodsFiero

Reaction score
It worked fine before taking it out though, that's what baffling me. My buddy drained it tho and instead of using the drain plug, he drained it from the selector detent and didn't see how it came out. We figured it was just the spring and the detent though...anything else supposed to be in there?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
So it worked fine, you took it out, removed parts, and then put it back together not knowing if you have all the parts or how they go back together. And you don't understand why it doesn't work? SMH

BackwoodsFiero

Reaction score
Mark, I generally appreciate your input and vast knowledge but was that needed? All that was removed was the spring and detent. I didn't take it out personally so I was just looking for verification that nothing was missed with the detent. Mistake for letting someone help me? Yes. Go find a "what's the best tune" thread if you want to belittle someone. Sorry for posting an actual "tech" question.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Mark, I generally appreciate your input and vast knowledge but was that needed? All that was removed was the spring and detent. I didn't take it out personally so I was just looking for verification that nothing was missed with the detent. Mistake for letting someone help me? Yes. Go find a "what's the best tune" thread if you want to belittle someone. Sorry for posting an actual "tech" question.

He's not belittling you. You stated it's not the transfer case, then said parts were taken out and then reinstalled. So I see nothing wrong with his response

BackwoodsFiero

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he's saying it is the transfer case because I don't know how to put it together, which is true and why I even posted the problem. I didn't need him to restate what I already said just to add "SMH" at the end. I'm done though, I have better things to worry about than the internet.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.