PA new member, tech info?

BackwoodsFiero

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a 2009 F-250 XLT, 6.4 PSD with 64k miles on it. I've been a GM owner until now (01 2500HD gas) but I've always had a soft spot for Ford trucks and couldn't pass up the deal I got on this truck. Having been a GM fan, my knowledge of Ford specifics is lacking. This site has been a great resource so far but I'm having a hard time finding very basic info because I think it's such common knowledge that it's not discussed.

What axles and transfer case does my truck have? What size/name diff covers are they? Any way to tell my axle ratio? Limited slip?

My truck also has a traction control on/off button. Does this just work through the ABS somehow?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Radioflyer

Reaction score
Welcome to PSA!
You can look up most of the info your looking for based on your factory window sticker,
follow this link and enter in your truck's vin number and it'll give you our gear ratio and what not. Most trucks came with 3.73's in 09 but there were a few that got thrown in with 3.55. F250 diesel's had the 10.5" rear end generally as well. Here's the link:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/vin-decoder/

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
welcome to PSA!! yes, the tag on the diff covers will say what gears you have and all srw superdutys have a 10.5 rear unless someone put in a dana 80 and is running normal srw rims.. front should be dana 60 but earlier superdutys could have a dana 50..

live life full throttle

co04cobra

Reaction score
Welcome..! Glad to see you in a Ford. :toast:

No SDs after 01 came with D50s in the front.

All SDs from 99-present have 10.5 rears, unless they are a dually, those are dana 80s.

Your transfer case will be a NP271 or NP273 depending on if its esof.

You can look at your VIN sticker to confirm a LS axle. Where it says axle code there will be either a letter and number combo ie..C1 or just numbers 31. Letter and number is a LS, just numbers open carrier.

That also identifies your ratio. C1 is 3.73LS F-250, D1 is F-350 3.73LS, C2 and D2, 250 and 350 4.10LS....and etc..

At least that's what I recall from the ol' brain box. I didn't click on the link above.

And like stated before there is a tag bolted to a rear cover bolt for identification as well.

Latest posts

Members online