• 1) What are you selling?

2) What is its condition?

3) Where are you located?

4) What is your asking price?

5) Pictures/videos?

6) At least 3 days between bumping your own ad.

7) No more than 5 ads per individual at once.

8) No commercial sales.

9) You must post when the item sells and state that it is SOLD. Do not report the post or PM moderators to remove your post once it is sold.

10) No feeler ads.

11) No firearms or firearm accessories.

Please don't make fun of me

713Diesel

Reaction score
So my dad has been asking me when I am going to sell him my truck pretty much since the day I bought it. I dont drive it that much so that day has come.

Here is the part where the title will come into play........ He is getting older and does not like the big step into the truck. Currently I have the leveling kit and 37's on it. My plan is to take the leveling kit off and get some normal tires. He doesn't tow and never has a load in the bed of substantial size. With that said I don't think he needs the expensive tires with a high load rating. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what a reasonably priced tire for this condition? I have the factory 18's to mount them too. If at all possible I would even consider going a little smaller than factory to make it easy for him to get in and out of. If I recall the factory Continentals were pretty freaking expensive but I was told this was due to the load rating which I do not need anymore.

Thanks in advance and I guess if you really want to you can make fun of me since I am asking what I can do to make a 4x4 3/4 ton diesel truck lower to the ground........... And before anyone brings it up I do not want to go the 5.4 coil route as I would still have to get rid of the 37's.

Emery19

Reaction score
in all honesty, just put it back to stock. you could probably also find some decent used tires on craiglist in stock size from people taking off stock tires in favor of bigger ones. also, even put yours up for trade and youc ould find something. the other thing is put steps on it. my 67 year old father has no problem getting into my 350 with the factory steps on it.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I was told this was due to the load rating which I do not need anymore.

So your truck is lighter?

Get the correctly spec'd tires. It's safer, for your dad, and others on the road, And you never know when his buddy will borrow it to tow something or whatnot. Plus the whole Liability" issue, if he ever had a blowout and an accident, he could be at fault for having the improper tires on the vehicle.

713Diesel

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but the load rating is there because you have the potential to hook up a 15k trailer to it correct?

To answer your question no the truck is not lighter.

I hear ya about the whole liability deal but he lives in the country and (he will even tell you this) he doesn't have any friends so he wont be loaning it out to anyone as a tow rig............ also I can take off the whole hitch just to be on the safe side.

JMart

Reaction score
You won't find many places that will even mount a tire less than the required load rating anyway so you might as well throw that option out. They have liability issues to deal with as well. You might be able to step down to a D if you can find them in the right size but nothing less than that just because of the weight of the front of the truck.

713Diesel

Reaction score
You won't find many places that will even mount a tire less than the required load rating anyway so you might as well throw that option out. They have liability issues to deal with as well. You might be able to step down to a D if you can find them in the right size but nothing less than that just because of the weight of the front of the truck.

Gotcha. So let me ask another stupid question....... all of these guys running around with 35's, 40's, 44's and beyond all have the load E rating? For the record I am actually asking the question not insinuating anything.

I never thought about the front end being so heavy so I will for sure stick with a load D.

squeak12

Reaction score
I have seen 35's as D rating, General Grabber AT2's. Which is a relatively cheaper priced tire by the way.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Gotcha. So let me ask another stupid question....... all of these guys running around with 35's, 40's, 44's and beyond all have the load E rating? For the record I am actually asking the question not insinuating anything.

I never thought about the front end being so heavy so I will for sure stick with a load D.

There are some "D" rated tires that would work fine. (Not all weight ratings are the same....some are based of sidewall thickness, some are weight rating.) At that point it's just a liability issue. But it's better to NOT risk it with a near 4-ton pickup truck. Many states will write tickets for over/under sized tires, too, as well as inspection laws. I run 35's on mine. I also have my stockers ready to go on in March when it's time to inspect the truck, lol!

713Diesel

Reaction score
It's not necessary the Letter rating, various ply ratings can have different load ratings.

I thought the letter rating replaced the old ply rating...... Maybe I am wrong though....... but anyway we are getting side tracked.

I see that I can get some tires for around 230 a tire at discount tire. Any chance that I will get cheaper than that in the stock size and stock load rating?

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
Call and ask discount tire if there are cheaper tires, they won't sell you ones that are underrated for the truck.

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Firestine destination mts come in a E loadrange even in the 315 75 16 or 35 1250 16 which is whats on my dually

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SickStroke6.0

Reaction score
Honestly, my last truck never had 'E' rated tires. I ran the 'D' rated tires for eight years, towed over 12,000 pounds (combined weight of around 20,000) probably over 100 times. Never had an issue. Never had a blow out. In fact, the only blow out I ever had was on the trailer, with an 'E' rated tire. :doh:

Fantom

Reaction score
I thought the letter rating replaced the old ply rating...... Maybe I am wrong though....... but anyway we are getting side tracked.

I see that I can get some tires for around 230 a tire at discount tire. Any chance that I will get cheaper than that in the stock size and stock load rating?

I just got a set of Bridgestone Duelers in 275/70/18 for just over $1,000 mounted and balanced. E rated for a 3/4 ton

bad12jr

Reaction score
Your going to spend at least a grand for a good quality set of tires. No real way around it unless you find a used set.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

yotaneck13

Reaction score
Yea i had 1900 for my destinations 315 75 16s and that was on discount they were over 2600 retail.... thats for 6 tho

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online