Problem after Red Head steering gear install

Gulfcoast

Reaction score
I got my Red Head steering gear installed last Wednesday and it seemed to be a great improvement. Then Sunday I had a two hour round trip drive and I noticed that it seemed to stick and I found my self correcting left and right as I went down the one lane highway. I also noticed that when I turn and let go of the wheel at the end of my turn it does not want to return all the way to center and seems to stick and I end up finishing the turn manually. When I did the install I changed out both lines that went to the gear as well as the high pressure line from the power steering pump to the hydroboost. I also flushed the fluid and refilled it with new ATF. I am wondering if its the gear or if it could be something else causing my issue. I put it up on jack stands and turned the tires but I did not see anything that stood out as a problem to me. I also pulled the power steering cap off to verify fluid levels and it was full but I did not see any movement in there. Should the fluid be visably circulating? Could a bad power steering pump be causing my issues? Here are two videos I took. First one shows the wheel not centering after a turn and the second is when its on jack stands.

DSCN0638_zpsb8e638bf.mp4 Video by jasonposes | Photobucket

DSCN0642_zpsc275d60d.mp4 Video by jasonposes | Photobucket

e.nickkk

Reaction score
Try unhooking from the steering box and check to c if both wheels move freely I had the same thing on my truck was a ball joint

Gulfcoast

Reaction score
I changed out all the ball joints a little over a year ago so I would hope not. As per my email from Red Head this morning, they are sending out another unit today. I will post up my results after I get the new one installed.

Reaction score
I changed out all the ball joints a little over a year ago so I would hope not. As per my email from Red Head this morning, they are sending out another unit today. I will post up my results after I get the new one installed.

I have had those moog ball joints cause that on vehicle, ive installed a couple of Red Heads. Good customer service, hope that's all the matter with it.

Lang

Reaction score
Power Steering pump can do that, it's doing that in my dads truck currently.

golfer

Reaction score
unfortunately, it's probably just the red head.

we've done quite a few, and I think they (RedHead), let some units out the door with too much preload on the shaft.

My understanding is the factory steering box has bushings on either end of the shaft...that when they wear, allow the steering to get loose.

The red head units use tapered roller bearings, similar to a pinion bearing/race...that can hold much tighter tolerances.

The Red Head on my personal truck 'stuck' (didn't return to center) one time...immediately after installation..but after that it's been fine.

one other we've installed has remained (too) tight...but the customer (an employee) didn't want to mess with it again, LOL..so he's just hoping that it'll break in.

If it's not returning to center...it's probably a defective (too tight) box...and they will replace it.

Gulfcoast

Reaction score
I forgot to update this. I changed out the Red Head and everything seems to be back to normal. I actually am on my third one. First one lasted a few days and then would not return to center on its own. Second one lasted a day and then as I was backing out of a driveway turning sharp I heard a pop and then no power steering at all. They sent me a third unit and it has not had any problems. I am not sure what was going on but somebody on another forum posted that they were have quite a few group buys at the time I got my units so maybe I got some that were sent out in a hurry. Not sure but all is well now.

rascal

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. WHen I replace mine I may try Borgenson based on your experience. Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Members online