Question regarding power band changes to performance upgrades

Austen

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some insight on power band effects with these engines in regards to basic performance enhancements (bigger injectors & turbo). While I have driven many 7.3s in my life, they have all been relatively stock and I really don't unfortunately have experience driving any that have had true performance enhancing mods.

I have an e99 7.3 with a ZF6 that has a tuned chip with Tony Wildman tunes, 4" turbo back exhaust and 6637 intake. I am considering getting larger hybrid injectors accompanied by a 38r style turbo or an S366 T4 setup. I am wondering how the power band is going to change or if it will perform the same way that it does now, only with more power.

I love my truck and the 7.3 engine. I have not however completely grown accustomed to the power band and I understand the ZF6 is a naturally more "lagy" configuration down low in these trucks over the auto for obvious reasons. I have always been more of a "low end-mid range" kind of person when it comes to power bands. My motorcycle for example is a Ducati and full power comes on immediately as soon as you twist the throttle vs. an inline four motorcycle that is more like a 7.3 (power band wise) where it makes all its power up top. The engine does not come alive and make power until ~1800 - 2000 RPM and from there keeps going until red line. The truck has all the power in the world and feels like it could pull anything but only between that RPM range. Anything under that and there is quite literally, nothing at all. It is something you get used to and adjust your driving habits to but it would be nice for in-town stop and go driving (especially while towing) to not have to rev it out so far between shifts. Going from 1st-2nd is not bad and can sometimes short-shift it there as there only about a ~400 RPM difference. The 2nd-3rd gear shift however is bad. You have to nearly rev it out to 2500 RPM in 2nd gear because there's around a ~600-700 RPM gap difference between 2-3. This means if you don't rev it out far enough in 2nd gear, you'll be below the power band when you get into third and then there's literally nothing and a long wait until the RPMs build up and it takes off. Like I said, it's just the nature of the beast and I understand that. Rev it out higher where it's happy and don't lug it.

Anyway, when I installed the chip a couple of years ago it certainly did improve the low end a bit but it certainly did not transform the power band, nor should it have either. What I'm wondering is, with a larger turbo and matching injectors, will this greatly increase low end power or will the power band pretty much be the same as it is now only producing a lot more power? I know that a larger turbo would obviously take even more time to spool up, but would the larger injectors be a night and day difference than the stock ones, down low? I guess that really hones in on my question to be specific.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your insight. I realize there's a much smaller percentage of those who drive a manual so this all very well may not be as understandable to those who drive an auto where you don't lose boost between shifts. Re-gearing is something that is definitely an important step but I guess I'm more curious about how the power band would or would not change to these improvements.

Last edited:

psduser1

Reaction score
Different injectors/bigger nozzles along with appropriate tuning will help your low-end, for sure.
It's hard to approximate what you want exactly, online, but there is a distinct improvement.
A bigger hpop will also help.
It'll never be super snappy off the line, just the nature of the beast. And, ultimately, low-end power will be limited by the connecting rods.

Reaction score
I would recommend the BASB turbo for you, and if your dead set on hybrids than maybe some 230/100s or 230/200s. Don't forget studs, springs and push tubes either for those, and a fuel system. A lot will tell you S364 SXE for turbo, but based off what specs I do know on both, the BASB would have lower drive pressure and slightly cooler egts. Again, JMHO based on specs, as I only had actual experience with the BASB (and D66) and not the 364sxe. It was amazing with a manual and towing. Read down a couple threads and read the one about the S300 turbos

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

superpsd

Reaction score
If your really aiming for low end torque you will likely want something that spools quick. If considering the 38R route also consider the KC38R.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I would recommend the BASB turbo for you, and if your dead set on hybrids than maybe some 230/100s or 230/200s. Don't forget studs, springs and push tubes either for those, and a fuel system. A lot will tell you S364 SXE for turbo, but based off what specs I do know on both, the BASB would have lower drive pressure and slightly cooler egts. Again, JMHO based on specs, as I only had actual experience with the BASB (and D66) and not the 364sxe. It was amazing with a manual and towing. Read down a couple threads and read the one about the S300 turbos

06-6.0l, CCLB 4X4, studded, reworked heads, egr gone, cab reroute, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, updated dummy plugs, stand pipe, and stc fitting; New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, powermax turbo, and Geerhead tunes, 325/65R18

What are the specs on the BASB? turbine size/ar and compressor wheel?

Reaction score
64.5 compressor, 1.10 housing on turbine, and unsure of turbine wheel. It has extremely low drive pressure, usually boost was was higher than drive up to the high 30s, also had very low egt

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Cant remember exactly where your located but if you wanna take a ride in a solid 400 HP rig with a manual im up in Monroe. 175/80's with a 38r. Spools faster than stock did, burns pretty clean and has enough power for more than anything ill ever need.

I dont recommend my injectors but they work. Im talkin the size, not the brand.

Reaction score
It wasn't directed towards me, but Monroe where?

Austen

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the courteous and very generous offer, CarportMechanic. I'll send you a PM.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
64.5 compressor, 1.10 housing on turbine, and unsure of turbine wheel. It has extremely low drive pressure, usually boost was was higher than drive up to the high 30s, also had very low egt

Do you know if its larger or smaller then the 74 turbine on the BW 364?

superpsd

Reaction score
I do believe some have said it is the 68-74 turbine wheel. I think the BASB would be pretty close to the S364.5sxe with the small turbine as I think it list two different S364.5sxe part numbers with two different size turbine wheels.

S300SX-E SuperCore Assembly 8776
64.47mm / 2.54'' Compressor Inducer Dia.
87.37mm / 3.44'' Compressor Wheel O.D.
67.56mm / 2.66'' Turbine Exducer Dia.
76.20mm / 3.00'' Turbine Wheel O.D.
Straight Compressor Outlet

300SX-E SuperCore Assembly 8780
64.47mm / 2.54'' Compressor Inducer Dia.
87.37mm / 3.44'' Compressor Wheel O.D.
73.37mm / 2.89'' Turbine Exducer Dia.
79.75mm / 3.14'' Turbine Wheel O.D.
Straight Compressor Outlet

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but if I'm not mistaken, the exducer (O.D.) of the compressor wheel on the BASB was mid 90mm something, seems like I remember reading that somewhere, so it would be very similar to the sxe, just different wheel profile

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
It wasn't directed towards me, but Monroe where?

Washington state. It a bit north east of Seattle.

Latest posts

Members online