Rear brake kits

97stoker350

Reaction score
I'm in fir this as well. I wish the obs trucks used the same bolt pattern on wheels as super duty. Cuz if you swap super duty axle in the rear you have to buy two different wheels

DZL JIM

Reaction score
There's no real good kit for this since you really NEED Hydroboost to run disks properly, and non of the kits include Hydroboost swap.
I would swap to Hydroboost first, THEN go to disks IF you think you need them.
I'm told the Hydroboost conversion makes for a completely different truck stopping, without even going to disks.

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
There was a guy on psn that was putting the obs bolt pattern on SD hubs for the 10.5 and then just run a 10.5 with e350 srw rotors. When I looked into this tho, after a rebuild of the axle, buying his hubs and a gear swap I was gonna be over a grand into the rear axle and that didn't include a locker of any kind.

I now chose to pull my d60/10.25 factory posi out for SD axles and a rsk with v codes for a better ride and disc brakes in the rear.

m j

Reaction score
I am having no issues without hydroboost on my disc brake swap.
what is it that is supposed to require hydroboost?

I agree there is no good kit. I did it with a welder, a drill press, and an angle grinder. rough but it got done. hardest part was taking the old backing plate mount off the axle

Beau

Reaction score
I have a blackbird custom kit, works well just use a residual check valve if you have a problem with pedal travel.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I have a blackbird custom kit, works well just use a residual check valve if you have a problem with pedal travel.

Been there, done that......

There is no way that the POS Eldorado calipers work better than drums. Residual valves are meant for masters that are mounted below the height of the calipers to prevent fluid drain back.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Beau

Reaction score
Indeed residuals are meant for that, but concept still is the same. Just an opinion, for me, it was a nice help with stopping the pickup with a skiddy.

m j

Reaction score
I agree, caddy calipers are worse then drums, and if you use regular calipers then no park brake in addition to worse braking
not a good option.

the 10.5 brakes or e350 brakes are the best way to go

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I am having no issues without hydroboost on my disc brake swap.
what is it that is supposed to require hydroboost?

If you did have Hydroboost AND disks, you'd know. Night/day.
I guess it's one of those things of doing it the right way, vs doing it a certain way that's just not ideal. It might be fine for you, but not for everyone.

Ever wonder why the older F-Super Duty has Hydroboost, and why the '99.5 - up trucks do, too? (hint: Rear disks must need the extra psi to work well...)

I had homemade rear disks with GM calipers on my '97 drag truck years back and they couldn't even hold the rear tires from spinning trying to spool the turbo. I can't imagine them trying to stop a loaded truck and/or trailer.

m j

Reaction score
line pressure is reduced by increasing the master diameter on hydroboost equip'd vehicles, added benefit is shorter pedal travel and the hydraulics can reduced pedal effort.
you typically arent seeing any more line pressure from what I recall of my old HP Brake Handbook.

only reason I would want hydroboost is to lose the vacuum pump, but the HVAC seems to need vacuum.

Latest posts

Members online