Steering gear question.

Bob 86

Reaction score
The steering gear in my 06 4x4 lariat has chipped teeth, looking to get a replacement box. i know a lot of people recommend red head, but has anyone tried the cardone replacement 27-7621n box? It has oversized internal gearing and oversized sector shaft to last longer. Just looking for info before I decide.

Thanks Bob

Aaron S

Reaction score
How do you know if the cardone box has larger gears and shafts? It would seem that if they went through the trouble to manufacture these parts it would cost a lot more than it does.

My experience with redhead. The people are excellent to deal with. They build an excellent 99 to 04 box. I tried three different 06 style boxes from them. They were all too tight and had increased steering effort, either turning right or left. I ended up with a PSC ported and built box. It has some play in it but it works properly. I don't like the slop but was and am tired of fing with it.

Bob 86

Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube about the box. The regular box 27-7621 is around $200, the new design box 27-7621n is $580ish.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I watched the video and it looks improved. I don't have any experience on the quality of cardone parts. If you can afford the extra coin, I say go for it and give us your thoughts on the quality of the part and how much if any slop there is.

Bob 86

Reaction score
I ended up returning the cardone box. I don't know if it was assembled wrong or just a pos. The placement of the sector shaft made the pitman arm sit off center. Couldn't get the steering wheel centered. Don't waste your $.

sootie

Reaction score
i just threw a redhead in mine, great box.

smooth and effortless even turning 35s sitting still

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.