Torn up turbine wheel

mustube

Reaction score
Took the turbo out to put a rebuild kit in, some bellowed up pipes and delete the EBPV and found out my turbine wheel is all chewed up. Does this happen from a worn out turbo or did something that was once inside my engine decide to come out? There was side to side shaft play but no contact with the housing on the compressor side, zero in and out play. Is this something I should look into more or should I put it back together with a new turbine wheel/shaft and call it good?

102-9201DE988842-1277-000003964C139121_zpsba018074.jpg

Edit: I should note that the truck runs fine except for having symptoms of worn out injectors.

MossBack

Reaction score
I bought a used turbo that looked exactly like that. I sent it in for a core and it was scrapped because of the damage. The oil seal on the compressor housing was damaged and it wouldn't have sealed oil in a rebuild.

IMHO I would not reuse the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
If it wasn't the tip of a glow plug or thermocouple tip that went through there, I would say that excessive side to side play would be the cause. Looks almost as if it has been grinding on the housing. How does the housing look?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
That's FOD for sure. Housing rub just wears the sides... it ate something for sure.

mustube

Reaction score
No pyro in the truck yet, and the housing looks fine, no contact on the exhaust side. I guess that narrows it down to a glow plug tip. I have a couple that don't read anything with a volt meter.

mustube

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a muffler delete, if I pull it off, whatever went through the turbo should still be in the muffler. I'll see what it is.

sootie

Reaction score
sometimes if egts get out of hand and the turbos starts to melt, the aluminum comes off in chunks which looks a bit like that. cant really tell form the pics tho, just a thought.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

If a stone can get past your air filter, past the compressor wheel, thru the intercooler, past the valves, then sure... It could be a stone.

Otherwise its a piece of glow plug, injector tip, valve or piston.

Arisley

Reaction score
If a stone can get past your air filter, past the compressor wheel, thru the intercooler, past the valves, then sure... It could be a stone.

Otherwise its a piece of glow plug, injector tip, valve or piston.

Exactly. It had to be something in between the piston top and the wheel.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
No pyro in the truck yet, and the housing looks fine, no contact on the exhaust side. I guess that narrows it down to a glow plug tip. I have a couple that don't read anything with a volt meter.

I think you may have found your answer then. Pull them out and inspect.

mustube

Reaction score
Took apart the drivers side and they were all intact, even the one that didn't register anything with a volt meter. It turns out somebody just didn't plug that one back in. They all read as they should. I'll check the passenger side tomorrow or Friday. That side has one more that doesn't register anything.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.