water in fuel light

96OBS

Reaction score
Okay guys, the other day out of the blue, my water in fuel light would come on when I made a sharp turn the off. Then it would come on then off immediately. Now it is always on. Havent had this problem until I installed my flatbed and had to modify my mounting spot for the fuller tube. I had to cut a hole in the bed and then cut off part of the metal tube exposing the small rubber one. My filler cap is on top off the bed. Do these lids seal good? Also my fuel gauge goes on the fritz every once in a while, if its real cold it will say completely full but when I start driving it will go back to normal? Could it be a ground on the tank maybe? I'll try to post pics...

ryanss22

Reaction score
F u have the orginal fuel bowl, try opeing the drain and letting it drain out.. Also add some diesel anti-gel to the fuel... Helps with getting water outa the fuel

96OBS

Reaction score
Ya its all original. Where is the drai valve? I don't see one. I'll put some fresh diesel, diesel kleen, and a new fuel filter and go from there.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Front left side of the fuel bowl, if you're standing in front of the engine. Turn 90* counterclockwise. It will drain quicker if you loosen the fuel bowl lid/filter.

96OBS

Reaction score
Okay, I got it done, the filter was old slimy brown with dirt in it. Had a lot of grime in the bowl so I done my best to drain it all out. I filled the bowl back up with diesel Klein and started it up and let it run. So far no more light. But there was a lot of water in the old fuel filter.

Bugman

Reaction score
How do you know that there was a lot of water in the old fuel filter? When you drained it did you catch it in a container to check it? You can't tell just by looking at the filter.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
If you had a lot of sediment in the bowl, drain it again and fill it to the top with gasoline. Let it sit in there for a couple hours w/o filter (don't start the engine), and then drain out the gas. Fill half way with ATF, then re-install the filter and start up. Should help remove and sediment that has accumulated in your bowl or injectors.

96OBS

Reaction score
Ya I caught some fuel that came out of the filter in a bowl and seent a lot of water bubbles in it and a bunch of sediment. I put diesel kleen in it and drained it then filled it halfway with more diesel kleen and started it and the light went off. But I drove it today and it seemed little more peppy but the light came back on. I'm just gonna run it really low then fill it up and put in more diesel kleen.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Drop the tank and drain it. If you're continually getting a W.I.F. light you've either picked up some bad diesel, or water is entering your tank somehow. Neither bodes well for the longevity of your injectors.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you had a lot of sediment in the bowl, drain it again and fill it to the top with gasoline. Let it sit in there for a couple hours w/o filter (don't start the engine), and then drain out the gas. Fill half way with ATF, then re-install the filter and start up. Should help remove and sediment that has accumulated in your bowl or injectors.

ATF?? It'll run on that?

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
ATF?? It'll run on that?

Yessir. It's a pretty effective means of cleaning/lubricating injectors. ATF has a much higher lubricity rating than #2, and the detergents in it clean out the fuel lines and fuel side of the injector.
There's a guy local to me who goes around and picks up used ATF from shops, runs it through a centrifuge, and mixes it 50/50 with diesel. Last time I talked to him he'd been running like that for 150k.

96OBS

Reaction score
I'm gonna try to run it all out if I can, don't really wanna hastle with dropping the tank if I can. The truck seems to run fine, it runs the same as before it came on.

96OBS

Reaction score
When I put on the flatbed I had to modify the filler neck. I ran the lid IP on the bed. And I had to cut part of the metal piece around the small hose on the filler neck and it could be getting in there. I'll try to get pics up.

96OBS

Reaction score
These are the filler neck where I cut the metal. Also where I put the cap.

Attachments

• IMG_20130329_113159_502.jpg
    IMG_20130329_113159_502.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20130329_113155_302.jpg
    IMG_20130329_113155_302.jpg
    973.4 KB · Views: 52

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
After seeing that....you have water in your fuel. No way around it.
Compare the cost of a tank of diesel to the cost of a rebuilt set of injectors.
And you're going to want to re-think you fill cap location and filler neck setup.

96OBS

Reaction score
Well crap. Do you know any other way I can mount it? I have to have it kinda tilted up so the fuel will run down in the tank. Do I need to replace the metal I cut?

96OBS

Reaction score
If I replace the vent tube will it stop getting WIF? I can buy fuel filler tube and clamp it back to the original vent. But do caps leak too?

Latest posts

Members online