What's your oil?

Stroked777

Reaction score
I hear different people running different oil, and after getting some work done to my truck I'm ready to change to a different brand of oil after seeing all the sludge under my valve cover. What you all running for oil?? Weight, brand conventional or synthetic.

Reaction score
Valvoline xtreme blue 5w40 full synthetic is what I run . im about to do an analysis in 1500 miles so we will see how it's making out.

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
Has anyone added the Lucas oil additive ?
lucas additive will make it start hard and sounds like a lope tune until the oil gets up to operating temperature.
i had an issue with a customer that kept adding lucas to a 2000 7.3 when it was new and he kept bringing it in for warranty, saying that lucas could not cause the problem.
ended up solving the problem by having his wife bring it in for a "free" oil change without his knowledge. a week later i called him and asked how it was running and he said it somehow fixed itself! :thumbup: then i told him that i changed his oil to solve the problem

Stroked777

Reaction score
lucas additive will make it start hard and sounds like a lope tune until the oil gets up to operating temperature.
i had an issue with a customer that kept adding lucas to a 2000 7.3 when it was new and he kept bringing it in for warranty, saying that lucas could not cause the problem.
ended up solving the problem by having his wife bring it in for a "free" oil change without his knowledge. a week later i called him and asked how it was running and he said it somehow fixed itself! :thumbup: then i told him that i changed his oil to solve the problem

That could have something to do with the 7.3 heui system. I donthing oil should effect a 6.4 idle

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Yeah lucas oil additive is thicker than gear oil, I imagine that stuff will effect oil flow in an heui system.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Sorry to bump and old thread but what's everyone think of mobile synthetic 5w40? Or the ams oil synthetic 5w40? amsoil worth the extra money?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if your set on synthetic, schaeffers is what i'd do.

conventional, pick your poison.

in a heui, oil is more........critical with what you run, shear is a major factor, and simply the amount of abuse the oil goes through. HPOP(or two), 8 oil abusing injectors, etc etc. schaeffers holds up towards the front of the pack, with a select few others.

on your 6.4, there is not near the abuse that the oil will go through, imo, so really, anything is fine.

78f100

Reaction score
I run rotella 15-40 in all my trucks have never had a issue. My 95 is bumping 300k so I'm sticking with it. I have ran lucas in them from time to time, my brother puts 1/2 gallon lucas in his 6.4 every oil change without issue.

78f100

Reaction score
I run rotella 15-40 in all my trucks have never had a issue. My 95 is bumping 300k so I'm sticking with it. I have ran lucas in them from time to time, my brother puts 1/2 gallon lucas in his 6.4 every oil change without issue. He puts it in everything.

Idk why it double posted.

Last edited:

Csilva187

Reaction score
Delo 15w-40 in everything. 6.4's, 6.0's, maxxforce10's, dd13's, 6bt's, and etc. All railroad equipment so you get the point lol.

BBottoms

Reaction score
Rotella T6 5w40. Seeing everyone run15w40 is making me second guess that though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.