where can i get just a fuel bowl lid that isnt a pos

Pstroke96

Reaction score
so yesterday i changed my fuel filter and o ring and this morning my garage reeked of diesel. and there was a spot on the floor long story short it is bubbling out around the top like its not sealing properly. i put the old one back on which did not leak for the 10k it was on there and cranked the lid on as tight as i dared to go. it appears to have stopped but i want to replace the lid since one of the notches is busted off anyways. i called ford and they will only sell me the entire fuel bowl assembly. so what are my options? will a parts house special work and not leak? will a super duty cover be the same? and do you know if ford carries just them?

thanks guys

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I might need that one. Where can you buy just the filter? Everywhere I go sell the filter with the lid already attached.

Bugman

Reaction score
NAPA use to sell just the cap but I don't have a part number. Also the dealer should be able to get you one for around $10.00. The last one that I bought from a dealer was a few years ago and was only $7.50

Reaction score
The billet cap is for the SD trucks, so I don't think it will work on ours. Here's the IH part number for the filter lid:

Fuel Filter Housing Lid
(International) 1825190C91

Cheers!

Pstroke96

Reaction score
I might need that one. Where can you buy just the filter? Everywhere I go sell the filter with the lid already attached.
i get mine at advanced auto they carry the mororcraft filter for 21 bucks. its pn fd 4595,

i really like that billet cover but its a few to many pretty pennies for my broke college ass :lame:

mjonesjr

Reaction score
The WIX or NAPA Gold fuel filter includes the cap. Why not just use the filter that has the cap built onto it?

kramarj

Reaction score
The WIX or NAPA Gold fuel filter includes the cap. Why not just use the filter that has the cap built onto it?

I hate those filters sooo much, I put two on and said screw it. They never threaded on right for me. I prefer the Motorcraft filters, sooo much easier, just set the filter and lid on and screws right in, I screwed with the Napa filter for a half an hour I bet on the last one I put in, maybe I got the wrong one, but it happened twice, not again.

kramarj

Reaction score
so yesterday i changed my fuel filter and o ring and this morning my garage reeked of diesel. and there was a spot on the floor long story short it is bubbling out around the top like its not sealing properly. i put the old one back on which did not leak for the 10k it was on there and cranked the lid on as tight as i dared to go. it appears to have stopped but i want to replace the lid since one of the notches is busted off anyways. i called ford and they will only sell me the entire fuel bowl assembly. so what are my options? will a parts house special work and not leak? will a super duty cover be the same? and do you know if ford carries just them?

thanks guys

I bought three filter caps from my local dealer, like $20 a piece.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
SD and OBS use the same filter and caps look different but are the same size and everything. I know because I have used both filter and caps. Someone in the business figured they could charge more for SD parts

purpleheart350

Reaction score
Either some one don't know how to box or what not cuz the one I got for a SD was the same as the one I normally get for my OBS

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Read the last post in that thread from me. The filters are different. They were mis-boxed when I analyzed them.

The OBS filter is longer than the SD filter. But I believe the lid is the same.

Out of the dozens my dad and I have bought (my OBS, his SD) they are the exact same filter each time.

OP I have had that problem before, it was always the O-Ring not sealing right.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Out of the dozens my dad and I have bought (my OBS, his SD) they are the exact same filter each time.

OP I have had that problem before, it was always the O-Ring not sealing right.

I'll take a picture of the two tomorrow at work and show you the difference.

Also to the OP, he has a point here with the o-ring. The o-rings are beveled and must go on the right way.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i had the o ring on correctly it looked good on the bowl. i inspected it and there werent any cuts or anything in the o ring itself. but it was leaking like a mo fo. i put the old o ring back on and it totally stopped. i put over 200 miles on it since and its fine now

Reaction score
The gasket bevel faces up for correct installation of OBS fuel filters. The OBS and SD filters are totally different. here are the part numbers for each:

Fuel Filter 94-97 7.3L Powerstrokes
Motorcraft FD 4595
Ford F4TZ-9N184-A

Fuel Filter 99-03 7.3L Powerstrokes
Motorcraft FD 4596
Ford F81Z-9N184-AA

If you pull up pics of each you'll see the differences (SD is much shorter for one). Cheers!

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Okay, here are the two different filters... OBS is on the left, and SD is on the right.

photo3-1.jpg

Latest posts

Members online