wtf is this noise.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Always thought it was a wind noise. Happens every once an a while cruising on the highway under no load. Sounds just like a tea kettle. I would normally say its the coolant cap, but why when no load? Never did it when it was puking a little or really bad. Does it every time towards the end of a full throttle run. Did it for a good ten seconds as I was chasing down and beating a CTS/V on the highway today, even for a few seconds after I let off. Truck is almost an inch over full on antifreeze an does not puke a single drop. Did the same thing on the dyno and I could not pin point it, but I am near positive its not the coolant cap.

between the the tea kettle noise, high boost warning, egt warning, driveshaft vibration, I almost wanted to take a right into the guard rail during the race.:fustrate:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Always thought it was a wind noise. Happens every once an a while cruising on the highway under no load. Sounds just like a tea kettle. I would normally say its the coolant cap, but why when no load? Never did it when it was puking a little or really bad. Does it every time towards the end of a full throttle run. Did it for a good ten seconds as I was chasing down and beating a CTS/V on the highway today, even for a few seconds after I let off. Truck is almost an inch over full on antifreeze an does not puke a single drop. Did the same thing on the dyno and I could not pin point it, but I am near positive its not the coolant cap.

between the the tea kettle noise, high boost warning, egt warning, driveshaft vibration, I almost wanted to take a right into the guard rail during the race.:fustrate:

you have a cfm intake elbow? i had that and it was the gasket on the intake elbow. drove me nuts, i pulled apart the turbos chasing that down!

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
my truck did that with just tuner/intake/exhaust. Not sure if it still does it, its almost like a groan

Ipkyss

Reaction score
you have a cfm intake elbow? i had that and it was the gasket on the intake elbow. drove me nuts, i pulled apart the turbos chasing that down!

Yes I do, but I have the o ring on both sides of mine. It did it before the cfm, but never full throttle like it does now. Maybe it has a crack?

BFT

Reaction score
Check to see if you blew a bellow. Do you have the heat shield on the turbos? Inspect that the two haven't split by removing the shield and seeing if any sut is on there. That should be a quick indication of a leak.

superstroked

Reaction score
That was your window seal?

LOL no, not mine but, mine would do that on a much smaller scale...It usually takes a really heavy head/cross wind before it does it. I didn't hear it at all over the summer though. I have been told by the dealer they have had a few do it and it is the window seal. I still need to take mine in.

Last edited:

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score

Ipkyss

Reaction score
That is the same sound. I guess I should read the 6.4 general more. I was thinking it was boost dependent. But it could also be speed. I use to only get it cruising on the highway in wind. Yesterday is the first time it was a steady noise (just like the video) But I was doing 120+

superstroked

Reaction score
That is the same sound. I guess I should read the 6.4 general more. I was thinking it was boost dependent. But it could also be speed. I use to only get it cruising on the highway in wind. Yesterday is the first time it was a steady noise (just like the video) But I was doing 120+

LOL

Ipkyss

Reaction score
lol. truck gets there quick when your already at highway speeds.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Manifold bolt loose, pushed a gasket out of a y pipe or wg pipe or cracked a bellow? Sounds like mine with bolt out of my manifold when boost came up.

superstroked

Reaction score
^^^^^
Manifold bolt loose, pushed a gasket out of a y pipe or wg pipe or cracked a bellow? Sounds like mine with bolt out of my manifold when boost came up.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I thought mine was a boost issue also, I only had it on a very windy day right after I bought the truck so I was freaking out. However, when I turned down the radio I noticed it only made the noise when it was hit by a gust of wind. I think mine is the window seal, it hasn't done it since that day.

superstroked

Reaction score
I thought mine was a boost issue also, I only had it on a very windy day right after I bought the truck so I was freaking out. However, when I turned down the radio I noticed it only made the noise when it was hit by a gust of wind. I think mine is the window seal, it hasn't done it since that day.

It has been a while for mine too..I think the colder weather has something to do with it though.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I will looking into it some more when I get a chance. I would think it would make the noise more often if it was an exhaust leak. When I swapped my turbo, I only tightened the driver side up pipe bolts on the manifold finger tight. It was blatantly obvious the first second I started it in the shop.

Latest posts

Members online