Engine Dusting

Bruno2

Reaction score
Do any of you guys remember all the threads about the K&N air filters would dust your motor? This was common place a few yrs ago. I still dont think it has any merit.

neverkickn

Reaction score
I am still not gonna run out and buy a k&n. My truck sees too much dust for that.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I wouldn't take the chance. I run a 6637 and it holds a TON of dust/dirt. I pounded/blew it out the other day and had literally a pile of fine dirt on the work bench, not a single spec was in the intake tube.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
Next time you pull your K&N filter out to clean it, hold it up to the light and look through it. Then look at the 6637 and tell me you would CHOOSE to run a filter you can see through(K&N). A good filter costs less than $50 and could save you anywhere from $900(rebuilt stock turbo) to $8000(rebuilt stock motor). But then again if you don't buy the K&N filter, you won't get the neat little sticker to put on your truck. Seriously though, gambling with trashing your motor seems naive.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Next time you pull your K&N filter out to clean it, hold it up to the light and look through it. Then look at the 6637 and tell me you would CHOOSE to run a filter you can see through(K&N). A good filter costs less than $50 and could save you anywhere from $900(rebuilt stock turbo) to $8000(rebuilt stock motor). But then again if you don't buy the K&N filter, you won't get the neat little sticker to put on your truck. Seriously though, gambling with trashing your motor seems naive.

:whs:

jwlandry

Reaction score

:whs:

Go to Napa and ask for a 6637 filter. Your truck will thank you

Bruno2

Reaction score
I wash and clean mine every 10k. I have never noticed any dirt in the intake tube. The funny thing about filters is they are doing the best job they could ever do right before they completely plug up. I change all of my filters on a regular basis. I am sub distributor for Baldwin. I havent swapped over to their air filter b/c I havent noticed any by pass in the tube.

I think all of that BS got started when a couple of guys sold real chitty rebuilds. I remember a thread where a guy just had his engine overhauled and it didnt last long at all. When he called out the builder he used the "dusting" excuse. I am calling bullchit on the "dusting" myth.

Lets get ahold of the myth busters and debunk it.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I drive constantly in heavy dust/dirty environments and I have seen a ton of vehicles with dirt getting past the k&n filters. There is one guy out by me who has all dodges and he thinks k&n is the **** and same with edge...guy's a tool, well he does oilfield work, so 90% offroad, I'd say the first week he had his fancy new intake he had a ton of dirt and oil residue in the intake tube.

Do you drive off road a lot or are you on pavement for most of the time?

To each their own, but I personally want to protect my engine the best I can, I actually run the baldwin equivalent of the 6637 and love it. Like I said before, it holds a ton of particulate and still flows very very well.

ParkerFly

Reaction score
For me it's not worth chancing it with a K&N. The 6637 is too easy of a setup. Plus Bean had a truck with a 6637 setup on the dyno once with a totally clogged filter. They took it off and ran it with no filter and it made 0 hp difference. Tells me that the 6637 flows more than enough air.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Its not the filter media that is the issue so much as the filters shape and ablilty to seal to the factory box.

AFE, K&N, S&B... The Media is all the same more or less...

The issue with K&N's was they never sealed properly to the goofy factory OBS air box. K&N sent that grease that you were to install on the top and bottom of the filter for a reason. No one used it.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
This was my E99 right after I bought it with a K&N in the stock air box:

http://inlinethumb17.webshots.com/48336/2077149420103920393S600x600Q85.jpg

It went away the first week I had the truck. My 96 also had one in the stock air box, not quite as bad but visible signs of dusting. Nope, I sure as heck won't run them.

But again, its not the filter media, its the filter sealing to the box properly.

Just so we are clear.

Is that picture of the factory E-99 airbox or after the recall?

redneckabbott

Reaction score
When I still had the stock airbox, dad bought a drop in K&N filter. After a week and a thin layer of dust in the intake tube, he swapped it out for oem. I know the stock box is known for leak but the only time it was letting dust past was with the K&N. I've only heard good from the cai filters but I'm happy with my tymar.

Arisley

Reaction score
When I first got my truck, checked the airfilter, the box was held together with two of those big zipties they use for air ducts. Everthing was clean and dry as a bone, but I learned about the 6637 shortly after that.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
But again, its not the filter media, its the filter sealing to the box properly.

Just so we are clear.

Is that picture of the factory E-99 airbox or after the recall?
That's the updated airbox, not the original E99. I don't have pics nor have I run them on my personal rig, but I have seen dust in the intake tubes of trucks running the K&N intake on a PSD as well. I will not run one, period.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Ugh...

People, its not the filter media... Its the sealing of the box.

Agreed its a K&N issue, but its not the filter media.

I have had the same AFE/S&B/K&N type oiled gauze filter for 7 years and 200k... NO dusting issues at all.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Ugh...

I'm not going to argue that point, that's been well documented over the years on both the OBS and the SD. However having seen dust past the filter with a K&N cone type filter, and never having seen dust in my own trucks with 6637 style filters I'll stick with the paper filter. Aside from that fact, I hate washing filters... doing it on the dirt bike is bad enough.

Bruno2

Reaction score
Ugh...

Agreed its a K&N issue, but its not the filter media.

I have had the same AFE/S&B/K&N type oiled gauze filter for 7 years and 200k... NO dusting issues at all.

This is what I have been saying for a while. I have the Generation II intake and it uses a cone filter. I dont have issues with anything getting past it. If you look at the sticky's above the forum for making different power ranges 7.3 they all reccomend a AFE or similiar filters. Which stated above has the identical media as K&N.

As far as the conditions I drive in goes. My profession deals with new residential construction. There is no grass on the lots and when not raining is extremely dusty. My filters are dirty to say the least and somewhat obstructed before cleaning. I have been considering running the baldwin equivalent to my filter, but , why? I dont have these mythical dusting issues that have ruined so many motors:).

I seriuosly think if there were issues about this K&N would have been sued multiple times with large class action suits and would have changed their products or gone out of business.

Tom S

Reaction score
I think Joe hit the nail on the head. I think it is possible to have a quality cleanable filter media that works in a dust enviroment but it has not been proven to me that K &N is it. On the subject of dusting a OBS powerstroke, those of you with the orange turbo intake boot need to keep an eye on those. The like to tear near the clamps.