Remote start

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
I have the viper system not the factory but mine works great in cold weather. Just remember to turn the heat on beforebyou turn the truck off the night before so its going when u start it. I have a 30 second delay on mine so it gives the glow plugs plenty of time

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

yzrmbsg

Reaction score
I have one called the CoolStart on mine, you can tie it into the WTS light or just put a delay, 10, 20, or, 30, starts great every time, even in the winter. I always get into a warm/iceless window truck!

Now that I think about it, its just one wire for the WTS tie-in, I'll bet I could tie it into my glow plug led and it work off that....hmmmm, may have to try!

mudslinger02

Reaction score
I was just talking to my uncle who works at ford about this tonight. He said its $400 installed and programmed.

Mpoage

Reaction score
How well do you think it would work in cold weather?

The newer diesels dont have any problem starting in cold weather. Used the factory remote start in my 6.7 in 5 degree weather and it didn't sound any different starting then if it was 70 degrees out.

Elliott

Reaction score
My 2012 came equipped with the factory Ford remote start. Works ok but the max run time is 15min and allows for 1 re-start. Uncertain if a system installed after the fact can be configured differently. I just wish we could opt for a 30 min run time for really cold weather, rather that listening for the truck to quit and command another re-start.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That doesn't concern me too much. I see Ford also offers a extended range version with it's own key fob. Not much more money either. Might be the way I go

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah factory keys don't do much.

I used to have on my 7.3 a half mile range set up but I don't feel like molesting the harness that bad to make it work. That's why I was thinking factory

Steamfighter

Reaction score
That doesn't concern me too much. I see Ford also offers a extended range version with it's own key fob. Not much more money either. Might be the way I go

My stock factory remote works from a pretty good distance (almost as long as i can see the truck it will work) I would go the factory route

Awaugh

Reaction score
Just bought a new 12 model and it didnt have remote start. Had it added on for 300$ at the dealer and it really works great.

Elliott

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like the factory Ford command start on my '12 (on the key). It will start the truck from a fair distance, as long as you can see the truck or through a window. Trying to get it to light when you can't see the truck or a few wall separating you to the vehicle is a different story. I had a factory command start on my 08 that was a separate key fob, it had unbelievable range and walls were less of an issue. This is just my personal experience, other people may have different experiences or luck with their systems. I think the route Dustin is going is the right one, imho. Buying the OEM remote start will also have the benefit of maintaining factory warranty.

BFinMO

Reaction score
....I see Ford also offers a extended range version with it's own key fob.....

I was going to comment on this, the range on the OEM fob does leave quite a bit to be desired. Especially when parked in a full parking lot.

I have considered going aftermarket just for better range.

BFinMO

Reaction score
I really should have read more of the posts before I posted. Doh!