TiAL water cooled wastegates

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Anyone got any experience with them yet?

I have been looking into them with my new turbo set up because i know that im going to be needing to wastegate a decent amount around the high pressure turbo for probably some extended periods of time.

Here is a link
http://www.tialsport.com/prod_wg_mvr.html

I have a precision gate right now that hasnt been worked at all, just once or twice on nitrous, im thinking about running the water cooled and then also run the precission in line in case the 44mm gate isnt enough

I have been seeing some of these trucks with bigger turbo set ups that gate alot around the secondary turbo burn up precision gates

mike@haller's

Reaction score
What is the advantage of the water cooling?

The water cooling is for gate setups in tight areas where there isn't much airflow to keep the diaphram cool, 6.4 is a perfect example. I'm hoping the one I'm putting on takes care of the precision gate failures i've been having. The tial is a pretty nice gate with a thicker diaphram .60 versus .30 on the precision. It also has a big heat shield on it as well. The tial also comes with alot more spring choices to set the gate to the exact pressure you want.

motoxracer42

Reaction score
i have one on the race truck. you dont have to use the water cooling either lol i made sure before i bought it

jdgleason

Reaction score
The water cooling is for gate setups in tight areas where there isn't much airflow to keep the diaphram cool, 6.4 is a perfect example. I'm hoping the one I'm putting on takes care of the precision gate failures i've been having. The tial is a pretty nice gate with a thicker diaphram .60 versus .30 on the precision. It also has a big heat shield on it as well. The tial also comes with alot more spring choices to set the gate to the exact pressure you want.

Good to know! Thanks mike. So where would you run coolant from? Just come straight off the degas bottle? Or T into somewhere?

Last edited:

Spatel23

Reaction score
How many other gates have failed besides mine? I'm just wondering because if its becoming a common occurrence this may be something that Id like to try.

I was surprised when mine went because my truck is a daily driver that rarely gets pushed hard (dyno/track). I suppose the lack of air flow was the main contributor to my failure.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Here is some pics of one.
2011-06-29_09-15-40_983.jpg

2011-06-29_09-06-14_199.jpg

mike@haller's

Reaction score
How many other gates have failed besides mine? I'm just wondering because if its becoming a common occurrence this may be something that Id like to try.

I was surprised when mine went because my truck is a daily driver that rarely gets pushed hard (dyno/track). I suppose the lack of air flow was the main contributor to my failure.

Shone I have failed 5 in the last year so far between my personal truck and customers trucks.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Shone I have failed 5 in the last year so far between my personal truck and customers trucks.

O man.... maybe the Tials with the heavier diaphragm is the way to go even if ya dont water cool it. Mike can you get the Tials through elite, or do they just use the precisions?

mike@haller's

Reaction score
O man.... maybe the Tials with the heavier diaphragm is the way to go even if ya dont water cool it. Mike can you get the Tials through elite, or do they just use the precisions?

I think tadd can get the tials or precisions but I'm not completely sure. I'm not sure that the tials are the cure yet, but I'll have one installed for testing tomorrow.

Spatel23

Reaction score
Thanks Mike.
Let me know how things go. I had no idea that it was a common problem.

Im going to give Aaron a call and see about switching mine while he has the cab off again.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Thanks Mike.
Let me know how things go. I had no idea that it was a common problem.

Im going to give Aaron a call and see about switching mine while he has the cab off again.

David is the one that turned me onto these gates shone. They're running one on rudy's truck. They should be able to get you set up with one.

Shipmate

Reaction score
I used to run Tial wastgates on my EVO and my 96 GSX Eclipse. I never had one fail and they were mounted right on the manifold. Yes a gasser and ricer but 40 psi is 40 psi. I believe the Precision Turbo took Tail's design and made their own. Do not quote me on that but look at the pictures and see for your self. Tial has been around for a many of years.

Charles

Reaction score
My second stage gate is always blowing soot out the hoses because the valve seal is gone. A water cooled version might cure that. There's a lot of heat going on there. Especially if a person were to drive daily and tow heavy. Burns em up inside.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
That's my concern too because I'm thinking I'm going to have to gate a good amount of exhaust around the secondary for extended periods of time

mike@haller's

Reaction score
My second stage gate is always blowing soot out the hoses because the valve seal is gone. A water cooled version might cure that. There's a lot of heat going on there. Especially if a person were to drive daily and tow heavy. Burns em up inside.

Thats how we found this one was blown charles was the big black stain of soot on the fender. On this truck its not only the heat in it but all the radiant heat around under the cowl where the gate is mounted. Here is some pics of the gate mounted, just about ready to go drive it.

2011-07-01_09-28-44_768.jpg

2011-07-01_09-29-28_42.jpg