TiAL water cooled wastegates

BFT

Reaction score
interesting...ive never had a problem with my WG and mine is used.

this does look like a way better set up. how big is the tial in comparison to precision?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You get coolant from the egr system basically.

Robert it doesn't seam that people have gare failures on tune stock turbos bexuasr the gate doesn't open that often

The tial is the same size gate but opens a little farther than the precision. I remember awhile back tial was advertising that their 44mm gare out flowed the competition gate in the 46mm range or something like that

BFT

Reaction score
i know that the v band clamp was slightly modified to mount the precision gates.

are you reusing the old hardware (v band) or new?

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Any new info on the testing, Mike?
So far the gate is working really well. It hasn't been on very long but so far no issues with it at all. I really like how tial sets there springs up versus what precision does. They have alot more options on springs for dialing in your spring pressure in the gate, and are all around easier to setup.

i know that the v band clamp was slightly modified to mount the precision gates.

are you reusing the old hardware (v band) or new?
There is no difference between how the precision mounts and the tial. The tial will go right in place of the precision.

So.... how exactly will these be hooked up then? Small hose coming from...?
I tee'd off the small coolant line going into the side of the degas bottle to route coolant to it.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
cost is about he same as the precisions if i remember right

Mike has the special fittings needed to clear the cowel

My truck WILL be getting one of these gates, i think a towpower/ stock turbo truck would be fine with a precision but on trucks with big turbos that rely on tons of gating, i think the TiAl is the way to go for sure.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Thanks mike.. That was really all i could visualize, but I dodnt know if enough coolant would move through it to make it worth it.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
It doesn't need a lot of flow, I am pretty sure the passages are small. That flow is enough for the coolant filter kits.

watercooling.jpg

TyCorr

Reaction score
I used to run Tial wastgates on my EVO and my 96 GSX Eclipse. I never had one fail and they were mounted right on the manifold. Yes a gasser and ricer but 40 psi is 40 psi. I believe the Precision Turbo took Tail's design and made their own. Do not quote me on that but look at the pictures and see for your self. Tial has been around for a many of years.

This is exactly where my experience is limited to! I have a95 GSX that was running huge injectors and huge turbo and Tial wastegates are the norm and they HOLD. There were some others around back then and they were cheaper but couldnt take the heat coming off the tubular manifolds with t4 chargers mounted directly on them. 40 PSI? I never got boost up that high in mine. I know a little more now and am going to rebuild my GSX to hold 65lbs of boost! Ill pm ya shipmate when I get that ball rollin and tell ya what I find out.

Shipmate

Reaction score
This is exactly where my experience is limited to! I have a95 GSX that was running huge injectors and huge turbo and Tial wastegates are the norm and they HOLD. There were some others around back then and they were cheaper but couldnt take the heat coming off the tubular manifolds with t4 chargers mounted directly on them. 40 PSI? I never got boost up that high in mine. I know a little more now and am going to rebuild my GSX to hold 65lbs of boost! Ill pm ya shipmate when I get that ball rollin and tell ya what I find out.
C16 and GT35R and a Magnus 4G63 FTW!

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im going to have Buschur build me a longblock that ditches the balance shaft. Carillo bottom end and some custom cams. You can do so much more NOW than you could five years ago with those motors. And the F&F bs wore off and its affordable again. My 95 hasnt been licensed since 05. Its gonna get built and Im gonna put 1000cc inj's and gt42r...hopefully run e85 so I can run higher boost #'s. Im not sure I know what a C16is?

Keeping a trans in it will be the biggest trick! Crunchy synchros are my biggest problem

Boostfed

Reaction score
These gates are a little tricky to plumb. I ordered everythign for shones truck thinking they'd be 1/8th inch-Wrong... The gates come with water ports tapped 1/16NPT and adapters that are 1/16- -4AN. For shone's, I'm using all -4 Steel Braided stainless lines. I'm pulling coolant from the EGR delete plugs and running the lines up along the intake mani to the gate. For the top port there is very very little room to work with. I've been working on building a custom banjo fitting that we got as a weldon fitting that I'm going to weld a -4AN bung onto and hope that it clears the cab.

The only draw back to the Tial gate that I've found is that you cannot rotate the top section of the gate to move the ports to a more convienent location.

4G63's huh? You boys got leashes for those cranks? They'll prolly wanna go for a walk soon! Lol, jk...
You'll definitely want bigger that 1000cc injectors if you're gonna run E85 and make power, especially the power availible from a 42R. C16 is fuel, nearly the best out minus Q16 but much friendlier to your fuel system. My honda says it wants to get in on a few hits with the 4g63's :-D

TyCorr

Reaction score
4G63's huh? You boys got leashes for those cranks? They'll prolly wanna go for a walk soon! Lol, jk...
You'll definitely want bigger that 1000cc injectors if you're gonna run E85 and make power, especially the power availible from a 42R. C16 is fuel, nearly the best out minus Q16 but much friendlier to your fuel system. My honda says it wants to get in on a few hits with the 4g63's :-D

I have never seen that first person, crankwalk. I have 'heard' of it. My car was making over 500hp on pump gas and custom tuning, upgraded fuel and an agp49 that I bought from MachV back in the day. Mine has a 6bolt bottom end now so its not an issue. Not a lot of 7bolt motors left. I didnt know squat about that turbo(agp49). I sold it when my drunk buddy drove my car into a curb and holed the ic. I put the 20g back on pulled the tuning back put hotter plugs in it and drove it for two years then I blew it up. Heres the best part, it blew up idling in my garage...shut if off on friday night and the water pump dribbled on the timing belt and when I started it up Monday to go to work....caput!

Those bottom ends are strong for what they are in the 4g63. Know guys with 250k+ that are heavily modded and stock bottom ends. Its amazing how much cheaper it is to mod them now than it was 7 or 8 years ago. I guess the craze wore off!

TyCorr

Reaction score
I wonder if a set of compounds could be adapted to that motor!?!? LOL

Have a 16g for bottom end and then have a 42r take over when the exhaust gases start doing their thing? Any input Boostfed?

Boostfed

Reaction score
I had a 1G GSX years ago, ran the piss out of it on a 20G until there was nothing left of motor, trans, clutch and diff, then parted it out, lol.

As far as Compounding a 4G63- Yessir.... How about a T6 1.32 backside on a 2.0 motor?

100_1143.jpg

Great thread to read on compound turbo setups. It mostly relates to gas and running a 3:1 pressure ratio rather than the 1:1 everyone here strives for but its still an absolutely great read, especially if you'd like to get your head spinning.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=216811

Back to topic- Gonna try to get a few pics of Shone's gate setup tomorow and maybe get the cab back down to check clearances.

Latest posts

Members online