200% nozzle = great tow pig

CurtisF

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to haul my new (new to me, but 20+ years old) TT up over some mountain passes with these 250/200's. Even with crappy incomplete tuning, the results were fantastic.

Some background... my wife and I went camping in Colorado south of Leadville just off the highway that runs up Independence Pass. We've been up to the same area before several times, and I go up Eisenhower tunnel and over to Fremont Pass (summit of 11,318 ft) to get there. I've towed a smaller trailer before with just a couple of ATV's, so total weight was about 2000 lbs or so. With stock injectors, and even on stock tuning, it wasn't hard to reach 1,200 degrees.... and that was trying to keep EGT's down.

This time we went up pulling the TT. It weighs in at around 7000-8000 lbs loaded, so a heavier load this go round. Going up the passes, EGT's wouldn't crack 1100 degrees with normal driving. Smoke also was minimal, and I didn't have to worry about fogging anyone out.

Tried once to lug the engine up a pass to see if I could spike the EGT's. Took some delicate throttle work, but I managed to hit 1200 before it downshifted on me. But that was me actually trying to get it hot, rather than normal driving.... or like before with stock sticks, try to keep EGT's down.

I know there's been some debate on 200% nozzles and the ability to tow. But from what I've seen towing around town with even heavier loads, and now going up a mountain pass with a TT, they are very manageable and do very well as DD's and towing injectors.

Now I just need to get the tuning dialed in exactly where it needs to be, and this truck will really run great.

Anyway, I'm sure the debate will continue, but I just wanted to share some first hand experience with these injectors and their manners with a load in tow. The 250/200's are doing exactly what I wanted them to do... outperform stock injectors and do it with cooler EGT's. :pimp:

Tom S

Reaction score
Cool post. You also join the Naughty list with Matt making me want to try injectors with non-stock nozzles.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
If you can't drive 200% edm nozzles daily and tow, with minimal smoke and managable egt's then you need better tuning, PERIOD. Great info Pocket, this confirms yet again what we have been saying for a long time now.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Great post Pocket.

I feel even better now about my choice to go with 200% nozzles. But I will have some fast mods done to the injectors. I wonder if that would help any?? Ity would get the fuel out a little quicker. so EGTs and smoke should be even better??

one of the best you have ever done :poke: I just had to do that.. LOL

jwlandry

Reaction score
Ive been on the fence for a while about going with 250/100s or 200s. Now im definetly going with 200s. Towing was my main drawback on straying away from the 200s. Dont seem to be a problem. Plus im sure them 250/200s with go great with my 4294.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
golfer has 200/200% in his excursion and tuned it pretty effortlessly. An EDM 200% burns very very clean. We have tuning for 200% nozzles for most any truck since we have used them extensively over the past several years.

ITUKMOR

Reaction score
We just feel that the 200% is really the best all around performance nozzle for the 7.3L. Dave would put them on every set of injectors over 200cc's if the customer had studs. He is getting almost 16mpg in his EXCURSION with them. Plus it gets up and moves out without a drop of smoke. I personally ran them on 300cc hybrids and was amazed at how few tuning changes I had to make. The changes were always for tranny shifting personal preferences and not for fueling.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
I can say for sure that it is 100% tuning. I just got my 250/200's in, and the tuners first stab at getting them dialed in was just a wee bit off.

All it does is smoke. My "stock" setting, I got in hopes of passing emissions, but it will make all 3 lanes of I-70 un-driveable for the cars behind me, and that's at half throttle.

The same trip up over Eisenhower, I have to be going 80mph to stay in OD. Anything under that I have to drop it down to 3rd, and even at that it hazes the whole time.

I'm really glad to see you having such good luck with this setup Curtis. There are still people that will say that the 200's at our altitude isn't do able with a smaller turbo, but you are proving that it is very possible.

And for all of those just in this thread considering bumping up to 200's, this shows how important tuning is going to be to making it run right. I'm at one end of the spectrum and you are at the other, and without proof like this it would have been easy for me to have been swayed into thinking that maybe the 200's were too big.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I love my 200% nozzles. Even with a low compression motor at 7500-8000k I have very little smoke issues.

If I had better compression I would have no issues... 300psi is not fun.

black974door

Reaction score
And for all of those just in this thread considering bumping up to 200's, this shows how important tuning is going to be to making it run right. I'm at one end of the spectrum and you are at the other, and without proof like this it would have been easy for me to have been swayed into thinking that maybe the 200's were too big.

it made up my mind about going to 200%! thanks for the post